20 July 2008

Being a Weekly Geek- #12 - pose me a question

I haven't been participating recently in Weekly Geeks simply because the activities haven't appealed, but this one looks like one I could manage.

The challenge is

1. In your blog, list any books you’ve read but haven’t reviewed yet. If you’re all caught up on reviews, maybe you could try this with whatever book(s) you finish this week.

2. Ask your readers to ask you questions about any of the books they want. In your comments, not in their blogs. Most likely, people who will ask you questions will be people who have read one of the books or know something about it because they want to read it.

3. Later, take whichever questions you like from your comments and use them in a post about each book. Link to each blogger next to that blogger’s question(s).

4. Visit other Weekly Geeks and ask them some questions!

OK - so here is your chance..
In the next week or so I'm going to read
  • THE CLEANER, Brett Battles: review here
  • THE QUIET GIRL, Peter Hoeg
  • DEATH OF A HAWKER, Janwillem, van de Wetering: review here
  • RAFFLES AMATEUR CRACKSMAN, E. Hornung: review here
  • THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO, Stieg Larsson
So, pose me some questions, and I'll try to answer them in the reviews that I write.

8 comments:

Peter Rozovsky said...

All right, here goes: What influence do you think Janwillem van de Wetering's experience and training in Zen Buddhism had on his crime writing? What influence do you think his police experience had?
==============
Detectives Beyond Borders
"Because Murder Is More Fun Away From Home"
http://www.detectivesbeyondborders.blogspot.com/

Kerrie said...

I've posted the review for DEATH OF A HAWKER together with some answers to Peter's questions.

Don't miss the opportunity to pose me some questions for
* THE CLEANER, Brett Battles
* THE QUIET GIRL, Peter Hoeg
* RAFFLES AMATEUR CRACKSMAN, E. Hornung
* THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO, Stieg Larsson.

Just post your questions as a comment to this blog posting.

Bybee said...

I know I should ask a question, but I was really bowled over that Janwillem van de Wetering writes crime fiction! I read his Zen Buddhism book years ago and loved it so much because of the grumpy, slightly puzzled tone which was so at variance with the "meaningful journeys" that "change lives" in so much of that kind of writing.

OK...I'll ask about Peter Hoeg? What country is he from? Is he the Smilla guy, or am I thinking of another writer?

How did you become so keen on crime fiction?

Sorry not to be brilliant; I meant to...honestly!

Peter Rozovsky said...

What a wonderful description of Van de Wetering's Zen books: "grumpy, slightly puzzled tone." And Peter Hoeg is the Smila guy.
==============
Detectives Beyond Borders
"Because Murder Is More Fun Away From Home"
http://www.detectivesbeyondborders.blogspot.com/

Joanne ♦ The Book Zombie said...

I would like to know about The Cleaner - What exactly does he clean? Does the book have anything to do with the movie called The Cleaner starring Samuel L Jackson?

Kerrie said...

My review of THE CLEANER is up now: http://paradise-mysteries.blogspot.com/2008/07/review-cleaner-brett-battles.html
Thanks for the question Book Zombie

Joy Renee said...

I'm interested in the technique and art of storytelling itself so anything along that line would interest me. Such as any of the following for example:

How was Point-of-View handled? Was there a single POV character or did it alternate among two or more. Was it always clear whose eyes and mind were filtering?

How was language used to set tone and mood?

Was the prose dense or spare? Were sentences generally simple or complex?

How was metaphor used? Were associations fresh or did they tend toward cliche? Did they add to your understanding of the theme?

What was the central or organizing theme?

How does the title relate to the story? Was it fitting?
>>>>
BTW I'm hosting a book giveaway this week. Four copies of Still Summer by Jacquelyn Mitchard. Four chances to enter until Saturday 3PM PST.

Kerrie said...

Joy Renee and bybee- I am going to try to follow your questions up with my review of THE QUIET GIRL by Peter Hoeg. I'm still reading that - and struggling a bit with the style - so it may not be there for a few days - but I'll try not to forget. Part of my strategy is this comment which will send me an email

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin