I'm a bit disappointed that I didn't really get much variety into my reading as you'll see from the list below.
All books must have been written before 1960 and be from the mystery category (crime fiction, detective fiction, espionage, etc.).
The challenge was hosted by Bev at MY READER'S BLOCK
There are a number of categories and each book can only count for one category.
I aimed for 8 or 16 categories and read 8
1. Colorful Crime: a book with a color or reference to color in the title
4.4, THE PALE HORSE, Agatha Christie
2. Murder by the Numbers: a book with a number, quantity in the title
4.4, 4.50 FROM PADDINGTON, Agatha Christie
4. Leave It to the Professionals: a book featuring cops, private eyes, secret service, professional spies, etc.
4.2, DESTINATION UNKNOWN, Agatha Christie
6. Yankee Doodle Dandy: one mystery set in the United States
4.2, THE BIG SLEEP, Raymond Chandler- 1939
7. World Traveler: one mystery set in any country except the US or Britain
4.3, PIETR THE LATVIAN, Georges Simenon 1930 - France
8. Dangerous Beasts: a book with an animal in the title (The Case of the Grinning Gorilla; The Canary Murder Case; etc.)
4.3, CAT AMONG THE PIGEONS, Agatha Christie
11. Malicious Men: a book with a man in the title--either by name (Maigret & the Yellow Dog) or by reference (The Case of the Haunted Husband)
4.1, DEAD MAN'S FOLLY, Agatha Christie
16. Locked Rooms: a locked-room mystery
4.5, ORDEAL BY INNOCENCE, Agatha Christie
Bev has a really interesting looking challenge running next year called
and Silver Vintage: books written 1960 - 1989
I must admit I'm tempted. I do read a lot of the Silver category and the idea of being a bit more organised always appeals to me..