24 June 2018

Review: SLEEPING IN THE GROUND, Peter Robinson - audio book

  • read by Mark Meadows
  • Isis audio book
  • published 2017
  • #24 in the Inspector Banks series
  • ISBN 978-1-4450-6992-0
  • source: my local library
  • length: 12 hours 35 mins
Synopsis (Isis audio)

A shocking mass murder occurs at a wedding in a small Dales church and a huge manhunt follows. Eventually, the shooter is run to ground and things take their inevitable course.

But Banks is plagued with doubts as to exactly what happened outside the church that day, and why. Struggling with the death of his first serious girlfriend and the return of profiler Jenny Fuller into his life, Banks feels the need to dig deeper into the murders, and as he does so, he uncovers forensic and psychological puzzles that lead him to the past secrets that might just provide the answers he is looking for.

When the surprising truth becomes clear, it is almost too late.

My Take

When the supposed murderer is identified Banks and his team find it hard to reconcile this conclusion with the opinion everyone who knew him has of the murderer. Nor does there seem to be a cogent motive. It is one of those cases where the ends don't tie up.

If you are a follower of the Inspector Banks TV series then you will notice there are some serious differences between the direction that series has taken and what happens in the books. For me it provided some confusing moments.

Nevertheless this was a "good listen", well narrated (with voice characterisation) by Mark Meadows.

My rating: 4.6

I've also read
FRIEND OF THE DEVIL (2007)
4.6, ALL THE COLOURS OF DARKNESS (2008)
4.6, BAD BOY (2010)
4.9. BEFORE THE POISON
4.7, WATCHING THE DARK (2013)
4.3, CHILDREN OF THE REVOLUTION
4.8, ABATTOIR BLUES
4.4, THE PRICE OF LOVE
4.5, BEFORE THE POISON

3 comments:

Terra said...

I like this series and have read about 20 of the books, but not this one yet. The parts about Banks' life are of interest to me.

Anonymous said...

I'll admit I've not watched the Banks series, Kerrie. But I do like the books, and I'm glad you thought this story was a good 'un.

J.P. Choquette said...

I so, SO wish that I loved reading series. It would make life much easier! I loved this author's stand-alone book, "Before the Poison," but haven't been tempted to take on the series. I'm not really one for crime fiction either (though make some exceptions). Your review made me ponder my stance though. ;)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin