27 September 2022

Review: TERRA INCOGNITA, Ruth Downie

  • This edition made available as an e-book on Kindle
  • ASIN ‏ : ‎ B07BHPT57D
  • Publication date ‏ : ‎ March 15, 2018
  • Print length ‏ : ‎ 404 pages 

Synopsis (Amazon)

Wind-swept North Britannia, where the natives are in the mood for killing…

Gaius Petreius Ruso, medicus to the Twentieth Legion, has been posted to the hostile north – and thrown into a no-win situation. Thessalus, the current doctor at the Fort of Coria, has confessed to a grisly murder and his Prefect demands that Ruso take charge of the patients and convince Thessalus to retract his confession. But, it seems a reputation for solving tricky murders down south isn’t always helpful.

Unfortunately, the corpse is offering up few answers other than to suggest that the natives might be more murderous than restless. If Ruso is to identify the killer, he’ll need all his wits about him to keep Romans, natives and slave girls from each other’s throats.

The second novel in the bestselling Gaius Petreius Ruso series. Formerly published as Ruso and the Demented Doctor.

My Take

This story was made more interesting, despite its length, by the fact that I have been in the area in which it is set, just south of Hadrian's Wall, at least a couple of times. 

I am always surprised too at how Ruth Downie makes the characters and situations feel so modern, despite the fact that historically it is set in Roman Britain, and life would have been horrendously primitive by our standards.

My rating: 4.4

 I've also read

4.4, MEDICUS, Ruth Downie - #1  

2 comments:

James Lawther said...

It is a long way from Paradise to Northumberland Kerrie.

I read your review and thought that sounds exactly like a book on my to-read list. Sadly, when I looked, I saw that was the other book you reviewed.

I should spend more time reading books and less reading blogs.

Kerrie said...

Not sure that I understand your comment James

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin