12 September 2024

Review: DEATH ON THE NILE, Agatha Christie

  • This edition from Amazon on Kindle
  • ASIN ‏ : ‎ B0DCG8S8NV
  • Publisher ‏ : ‎ Horizon Ridge Publishing (10 August 2024
  • Print length ‏ : ‎ 304 pages
  • First published in Great Britain in 1937

Synopsis (Amazon

Beloved detective Hercule Poirot embarks on a journey to Egypt in one of Agatha Christie's most famous mysteries.

The tranquility of a luxury cruise along the Nile was shattered by the discovery that Linnet Ridgeway had been shot through the head. She was young, stylish, and beautiful. A girl who had everything . . . until she lost her life.

Hercule Poirot recalled an earlier outburst by a fellow passenger: "I'd like to put my dear little pistol against her head and just press the trigger." Yet under the searing heat of the Egyptian sun, nothing is ever quite what it seems.

A sweeping mystery of love, jealousy, and betrayal, Death on the Nile is one of Christie's most legendary and timeless works.

My Take

Well, of course, this is far from the first time that I have read DEATH ON THE NILE. My earlier reviews is here. I am re-reading it this time with my U3A Agatha Christie Reading group who are coming to the end of their 4 year course with me. I anticipate they will have enjoyed the novel.

I want to focus our discussion on some of the following

  • the way Christie introduces us to all the main characters
  • who is NOT what they appear to be at first glance? 
  • the interactions between the characters
  • how is each character in some way linked to a crime
  • the suspicions she plants in our minds
  • the red herrings which are laid across our reading path
  • The role of Colonel Race
  • How they felt about the ending.
  • what makes this such an appealing book?
  • some themes that have been suggested: Justice, genre expectations, the importance of class, romantic love, selfishness and generosity, national identity and international connections

We will follow our discussion by watching the television production with David Suchet as Poirot. 

My rating: 4.5

My reviews of Agatha Christie novels

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin