27 September 2009

Weekly Geeks - 2009-37: Diversity Roll Call

This week's Weekly Geek task posed by Ali asks us to consider how blogging brings people from diverse backgrounds and reading tastes together.

I thought first of all I might take another look at where the visitors to my blog come from. I know they aren't all bloggers, but they are invariably crime fiction readers and it illustrates how crime fiction is a universally popular genre.

The first image shows how by far the majority of my readers are English speakers, although for those who are not, I have provided the Google translate widget.
However this second graph indicates a far greater diversity of backgrounds.

I belong to a group who meet in a FriendFeed coterie called Crime and Mystery Fiction.

While we converse in English, in reality we come from all over the world: Australia, New Zealand, the UK, the USA, and Denmark. What binds us together is the fact that we read, enjoy, and review, crime fiction. The room has 108 subscribers at present, and we catch up on a daily basis, watching and commenting on each other's blogs, sharing news, and so on.

Some are able occasionally to meet in the flesh in their home country, and just occasionally people from different geographic locations get to meet. Here are 2 such meetings. (Click on the images/links to read the stories).

Dorte met Tim














8 comments:

gautami tripathy said...

I really like the statics of your WG posts. You do it so differently.

Weekly Geeks: Diversity is the in thing!

Maree said...

I love the pie charts. Woo hoo - I'm in the 2 per cent! :)

Uriah Robinson said...

I am certainly not having my photo taken from that angle again! Now I know why Nicholas Sarkozy wears lifts and only has short people around him. ;o)
I must have a look at my pie charts and see how they compare.
Great post and thanks for the link. ;o)

Ali said...

Your pie charts are gorgeous! I'm always amazed when I look at my stats and see all the different countries readers drop in from.

The Cozy Mystery Journal said...

Yay for stats. They are so much fun. I need to spread the word in Canada and get that 3% up! :)

Kerrie said...

Glad you've all enjoyed the pie charts - I can't cliam much credit - they are produced by Sitemeter

pussreboots said...

I have a similar breakdown of readership but I didn't post about that in my Weekly Geeks. My post is here.

Care said...

It is fun to meet people from all over the world, in person or in 'internet'. Cool pie charts. I love pie.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin