- Latest additions
- 2016 Reviews
- All Reviews
- 2016 Reading Challenges Update
- 2016 Good Reading projects
- 2016 Vintage Cover Scavenger Hunt
- Authors A-Z
- USA Fiction Challenge 2014-
- Vintage Mystery BINGO 2015
- 2016-2014 Global Reading Challenge
- Aussie authors read in 2016 & 2015
- 2015 Reading Challenges Update
- Agatha Christie Novels
- 2015 Authors A to Z Reading Challenge!
- Agatha Christie Short Stories
- 2014 Reading Challenges Update
- Reviews 2012, 2013, 2014
- 2015 Reviews
- Reviews: 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011
- 2012 & 2011 Reading Challenges Update
- 2013 Reading Challenges Update
- 2012 Global Reading Challenge
- 2013 Global Reading Challenge
- Crime Fiction Alphabet
23 February 2010
Out on a Limb in crime fiction
Many of the poll participants commented that while their preference is for crime fiction, they also read other genres such as historical, science fiction, fantasy, horror, thrillers,
I took heart at Deb's comment:
I read across all genres--with, of course, crime/mystery fiction being my favorite. A few years ago, I read Jane Smiley's 13 WAYS OF LOOKING AT A NOVEL in which she says that all novels are at heart mystery novels because something unknown is always being uncovered. I love that quote.
I tend to agree that mystery lies at the heart of most fiction - solving a puzzle seems to me to be the main reason why we read.
This comment from readerbuzz set me thinking too: I like to create my own genre names: Moving-and-Starting-Over...Books About Books...and, the current favorite, Yearlong Challenges That Started Out as Blog Posts and Built Into a Book From Which a Movie Was Later Made....
Thanks for participating in the poll everyone. It certainly had me thinking about my own addiction! And also about whether I tend to think I read solely crime fiction when in fact I read other genres too, and just don't recognise the fact. Maybe we'll analyse what I call crime fiction one day. I do know that when I occasionally venture outside what I call crime fiction, I think why am I wasting my time on this!