21 February 2013

Forgotten Book: THE GRASS WIDOW'S TALE, Ellis Peters

I've been neglecting Friday's Forgotten Books hosted by Pattinase so far this year but hope to be a regular contributor from now on.

My little green book
My plan this year is to feature books I read 20 years ago - in 1993- from the records I have in my "little green book", which I started in 1975.

In 1993 I read 111 books and was pretty well addicted to crime fiction by then.

THE GRASS WIDOW'S TALE by Ellis Peters was the third book I read for the year.
It is the 7th title in the Felse series, published in 1968..

When George Felse finds himself called away to London on urgent police business, his wife Bunty is left alone feeling depressed on the eve of her 41st birthday. To shake off her black mood she goes out to the local pub where a chance meeting places her in deadly danger. 

For me Ellis Peters made her name with her brother Cadfael series and of course her contributions to crime fiction are memorialised in the CWA Ellis Peters award for historical crime fiction.

Felse (series list from Fantastic Fiction)
1. Fallen into the Pit (1951)
2. Death and the Joyful Woman (1961)
3. Flight of a Witch (1964)
4. A Nice Derangement of Epitaphs (1965)
5. The Piper on the Mountain (1966)
6. Black is the Colour of My True Love's Heart (1967)
7. The Grass Widow's Tale (1968)
8. The House of Green Turf (1969)
9. Mourning Raga (1969)
10. The Knocker on Death's Door (1970)
11. Death to the Landlords (1972)
12. City of Gold and Shadows (1973)
13. Rainbow's End (1978)
The Dominic Felse Omnibus (omnibus) (1991)
The George Felse Omnibus (omnibus) (1994)
The Second George Felse Omnibus (omnibus) (1995)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kerrie - Interesting choice. Like you, I think of Brother Cadfael when I think of Ellis Peters. It's good to remember that she also did this series and other novels too.

Gunnar said...

I haven't read Ellis Peters for a long time. I think most of her books are translated to Swedish. I anot sure if I have read this one.

Did you read 111 books in one year? I am impressed.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin