|My little green book|
In 1993 I read 111 books and was pretty well addicted to crime fiction by then.
THE GRASS WIDOW'S TALE by Ellis Peters was the third book I read for the year.
When George Felse finds himself called away to London on urgent police business, his wife Bunty is left alone feeling depressed on the eve of her 41st birthday. To shake off her black mood she goes out to the local pub where a chance meeting places her in deadly danger.
For me Ellis Peters made her name with her brother Cadfael series and of course her contributions to crime fiction are memorialised in the CWA Ellis Peters award for historical crime fiction.
Felse (series list from Fantastic Fiction)
1. Fallen into the Pit (1951)
2. Death and the Joyful Woman (1961)
3. Flight of a Witch (1964)
4. A Nice Derangement of Epitaphs (1965)
5. The Piper on the Mountain (1966)
6. Black is the Colour of My True Love's Heart (1967)
7. The Grass Widow's Tale (1968)
8. The House of Green Turf (1969)
9. Mourning Raga (1969)
10. The Knocker on Death's Door (1970)
11. Death to the Landlords (1972)
12. City of Gold and Shadows (1973)
13. Rainbow's End (1978)
The Dominic Felse Omnibus (omnibus) (1991)
The George Felse Omnibus (omnibus) (1994)
The Second George Felse Omnibus (omnibus) (1995)