15 August 2026

Review: RESURRECTION BAY, Emma Viskic

  • This edition read as an e-book on Libby through my local library
  • first published 2016
  • my review 2016  
  • Finalist for the CWA (Crime Writers’ Association) Gold Dagger
  • Finalist for John Creasey (New Blood) Dagger Awards
  • 2016 WINNER OF THREE DAVITT AWARDS: Best Adult Novel, Best Debut Book, Readers’ Choice Award
  • 2016 WINNER OF THE NED KELLY AWARD for Best First Fiction
  • It was iBooks Australia’s Crime Novel of the Year and shortlisted for the UK’s prestigious Gold Dagger and New Blood Dagger Awards, and the US Barry Award.  
  • Libby Reads ANZ (Zoom discussions August 2026) 

Synopsis (publisher)

Caleb Zelic may be deaf, but he knows how to read people better than anyone. When his childhood friend is brutally murdered while helping him on an insurance case, Caleb vows to find the killer. But he can't do it alone. Caleb and his business partner Frankie, an ex-cop, start with one clue: Scott, the last word the victim texted to Caleb.

But chasing the elusive Scott leads them back to Caleb's hometown of Resurrection Bay. And it's here he learns that everyone – including his murdered friend – is hiding something. And the deeper he digs, the darker the secrets ... 

My Take

I originally read this title very soon after it was first published. I am re-reading it so I can sit in on a Zoom meeting being held by Libby Reads ANZ (Zoom discussions August 2026). After re-reading the book, I think that I probably underestimated how good it actually was back in 2016. The plot is quite complex and has a couple of turnings that really nothing warns the reader about. It certainly has won, and been short-listed for, a number of local and even international awards.

One question I would like the author to answer in the Zoom discussion is why she made Caleb deaf. 

My rating: 4.6 

I've also read

4.3, RESURRECTION BAY
4.3, AND FIRE CAME DOWN
4.2, DARKNESS FOR LIGHT  

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin