11 December 2009

Review: EXECUTIVE LUNCH, Maria E. Schneider

An e-book published November 9, 2009. Sub-titled Mismanagement Meets its Match. Available at Smashwords. My review copy came courtesy of the author, Maria E. Schneider. Available ina variety of e-book formats. I read my copy on my Kindle.

Strandfrost is a very ordinary computer company located in a fourteen-story office building outside the downtown area of quiet Denton, Colorado--an unlikely spot for a mugging. And Sedona O'Hala leads a very quiet life in one of its testing labs, that is, until she comes to the attention of the board, after foiling an attack by three thugs. Admittedly she had attended self-defence classes, but she had never expected to have to use her skills in real life.

As a result of her successful bravado, Sedona is given the opportunity of a lifetime: play an up-and-coming executive with all the trappings of wealth with someone else footing the bill. The catch: find out who is stealing company funds before the criminals find out that their program is being debugged. Sedona runs into danger, the corporate glass ceiling, and an occasional chance at romance in her quest.

EXECUTIVE LUNCH struck a chord with me. Not only is it full of humour, many of you will also be aware that I work for a "computer company", and I could imagine how some of the scenarios in this story could work in the real world. It is a light read, enjoyable, but at the same time there is a puzzle to be solved, and Schneider does a pretty good job of tying off the threads.

My rating: 4.2

Maria Schneider has two more e-books available, and an interesting site at Bear Mountain Books. Her e-books are also available on Amazon.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kerrie - Thanks for this review. This does strike me as an interesting and enjoyable read. I like it when books can combine humor and an interesting and believable puzzle to solve. It sounds, too, as though you're really making use of your Kindle - I'm glad you're enjoying it.

Louise | Italy said...

Hi there. I see the word e-book and I want to click away. But something caught my eye. Nice review. Looks like a good read! Is it available in a more traditional format?

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin