4 April 2012

Best new-to-me authors January to March 2012


I'd read 45 books by the end of March and was surprised to find that nearly a third of them were new-to-me authors, 16 in all.

The best two though were both Australian, and in fact both were debut novels.
A FEW RIGHT THINKING MEN, Sulari Gentill is set in the early 1930s when Fascism appeared to be on the rise here as in the rest of the European world.




THE BROTHERHOOD, Y.A. Erskine is set in the police force in Tasmania and raises many of the issues that dog modern policing.

You'll notice that with at least 3 of the authors I am doing some catch up of authors I probably should have read long ago.

Here is my list
  1. 5.0,  A FEW RIGHT THINKING MEN, Sulari Gentill
  2. 5.0, THE BROTHERHOOD, Y.A. Erskine
  3. 4.9, THE NOBODIES ALBUM, Carolyn Parkhurst
  4. 4.8, THE BOY IN THE SUITCASE, Lena Kaarbol & Agnete Friis  
  5. 4.8, 1222, Anne Holt
  6. 4.5, HAVOC IN ITS THIRD YEAR, Ronan Bennett 
  7. 4.4, INSTRUMENTS OF DARKNESS, Imogen Robertson 
  8. 4.4, THE MASK OF DIMITRIOS, Eric Ambler 
  9. 4.4, BEFORE I GO TO SLEEP, S.J. Watson
  10. 4.4, THE RESURRECTION MEN, Sara Fraser
  11. 4.3, THE CASE OF THE POISONED CHOCOLATES, Anthony Berkeley
  12. 4.3, A LILY OF THE FIELD, John Lawton
  13. 4.3, 8 POUNDS, Chris. F. Holm 
  14. 4.3, THE HOT ROCK, Donald E. Westlake
  15. 4.2, STEPS TO HEAVEN, Wendy Cartmell 
  16. 3.8, ANTIQUES ROADKILL, Barbara Allan

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kerrie - OK, now I really must try Erskine's work!

Maxine Clarke said...

An impressive list, Kerrie. I too think Erskine's book excellent, and I'm glad to see The Nobodies Album high up your list. I can't count this author in my own list as I read her debut novel Loreili's Secret some years ago (aka the Dogs of Babel).

KATHY D. said...

I would say Leonard Rosen, for his brilliant book All Cry Chaos. It's got chaos theory, international conspiracies, family relationships, a good protagonist and lovely descriptions of the French countryside.

If I had read The Boy in the Suitcase in 2012, I would have listed Lene Kaabarbol and Agnete Friis. Perhaps, if their second book in the series comes out later this year, I can list them for my favorites of new writers this year.

Shelleyrae said...

I loved the Brotherhood which I picked up on your recommendation, I haven't published my review yet though

Shelleyrae @ Book'd Out

Kerrie said...

Do come back and leave a link when you have Shellyrae

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin