I guess what I'm trying to say is that these are authors that I will read even if the occasional offering doesn't hit the dizzy heights of excellence. They nearly always have something to offer.
The other element in my thinking is that sometimes the "difference" is in the reader. We don't always bring the same mindset to our reading, and so a book will not always please, even when by a favourite author.
And of course there is the difference between readers. My wine can taste like vinegar to you and vice versa.
My general benchmarks are
- 5.0 Excellent
4.0 Very Good
1.0 Did Not Like
0 Did Not Finish
I have not read all of his novels, and completed an older one just last week, but Peter Lovesey is one of those authors I always find a reliable read, even if I my rating range from 4 to 5.
You'll find lots of references to Lovesey in this blog. In fact I identified him as one of my favourite authors in one of my very first posts.
Titles from my database in rating order.
- THE SUMMONS (1995), my rating 5
- THE VAULT (1999), my rating 5
- THE HOUSE SITTER (2003), my rating 5
- THE CIRCLE (2005), my rating 5
- THE SECRET HANGMAN (2007), my rating 5
- MAD HATTER'S HOLIDAY (1973), my rating 4.4
- THE REAPER (2000), my rating 4.2
1. Wobble to Death (1970)
2. The Detective Wore Silk Drawers (1971)
3. Abracadaver (1972)
4. Mad Hatter's Holiday (1973)
5. The Tick of Death (1974) aka Invitation to A Dynamite Party
6. A Case of Spirits (1975)
7. Swing, Swing Together (1976)
8. Waxwork (1978)
The Peter Diamond series appeared from 1991- 2009, 10 titles to look for
1. The Last Detective (1991)
2. Diamond Solitaire (1992)
3. The Summons (1995)
4. Bloodhounds (1996)
5. Upon A Dark Night (1997)
6. The Vault (1999)
7. Diamond Dust (2002)
8. The House Sitter (2003)
9. The Secret Hangman (2007)
10. Skeleton Hill (2009)
In 2005 he introduced Inspector Hen Mallin and to date there are just 2 titles.
1. The Circle (2005)
2. The Headhunters (2008)
And then there are 10 stand-alone titles
- Goldengirl (1977) (writing as Peter Lear)
- Spider Girl (1980) (writing as Peter Lear)
- The False Inspector Dew (1982)
- Keystone (1984)
- Rough Cider (1986)
- The Secret Of Spandau (1986) (writing as Peter Lear)
- On the Edge (1989)
- The Reaper(2000)
- In Suspense (2001)
- Dead Gorgeous (2002)
- Edgar Awards Best Novel nominee (1988) : Rough Cider
- Anthony Awards Best Novel winner (1992) : The Last Detective
- Dagger Awards Best Novel nominee (1995) : The Summons
- Dagger Awards Best Novel nominee (1996) : Bloodhounds
- Edgar Awards Best Novel nominee (1996) : The Summons
- Macavity Awards Best Novel winner (1997) : Bloodhounds
- Macavity Awards Best Novel winner (2004) : The House Sitter