4 December 2011

Collecting your best reads for 2011


It is just a tad early to make pronouncements I think - who knows, the killer-read for the year might be just around the corner, but I know many of us in crime fiction land are beginning to think about our top 5, or 10, or even 20 reads for the year.


So this blog post is just to let you know I will be "collecting" titles again this year and then aggregating them, and publishing lists, early in 2012.

I've decided that I will collect in two ways:
  • If you write a post on your own blog that lists your best crime fiction reads, then you can simply add the URL to the Mr Linky below and I will visit your site and collect the titles.
  • Your alternative is to add your list as a comment to this post (or the reminder posts that I'll create later in the month)
The books you choose need not have been published in 2011, but need to come under the category of crime fiction. 

You choose how many titles are in your list - I'll accept any number of titles up to 20. (you might like to decide a cut off point in your ratings - mine might have to have a rating of 4.9 or above, but I need to have a serious think about that)

Please feel free to use this icon on your blog post, to advertise the meme, and encourage others to add their contributions to this page.

Remember, the Mr Linky below is for the URL of your blog post, not the titles themselves.
If you don't have a blog post just list the titles and authors in a comment.

"Collecting" will close on January 7.

Important: how to find this post when you are ready to add your list - look for the icon in the right hand margin.

15 comments:

Susan said...

I love the links to the journals and magazines best mysteries of the year! Thanks! I have to think about my books, and like you, still have 20 to read (Ha ha!) before the end of the year....so will come by later to link to my list.

Marce said...

Oh I look forward to everyone's list. I have 2 more I definitely want to read before doing my list and will come back to link.

A definite favorite would be Harry Dolan's Bad Things Happen.

Bill Selnes said...

Kerrie: I am glad it is open to January. I hate lists for the year being completed a month or more before the end of the year.

TomCat said...

You can expect a best-of list of detective novels and short story collections, devoured during the months that made up 2011, to appear on my blog either before or right after Christmas.

I will add a link when the list has been compiled and posted, but it's going to be hard this year to pick the top favorites. It was a vintage year for reading and discovering (unjustly) Golden Age detective stories as well as neo-orthodox mysteries.

TomCat said...

What I meant to say in that final part was "unjustly forgotten" Golden Age detective stories.

Proof reading is an art that I haven't fully mastered yet.

Anonymous said...

Kerrie, you might be interested in this page http://www.spinetinglermag.com/2011/11/22/best-mysterycrime-fiction-lists-collected/

Kerrie said...

Thanks for the tip Jose Ignacio

Debbie Rodgers said...

How do you define 'crime fiction'? How does it differ (if it does) from mysteries? Thanks for your help :-)

Kerrie said...

I'm pretty accommodating in my definition Debbie. To me "mysteries" are part of the crime fiction genre, which for me loosely accepts books that are fictional and involve a crime

mondal said...

I will add a link when the list has been compiled and posted, but it's going to be hard this year to pick the top favorites. It was a vintage year for reading and discovering (unjustly) Golden Age detective stories.
British Food

pattinase (abbott) said...

Here are my top seven reads for 2011.
Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter, Tom Franklin
The Ice Princess, Camilla Lackburg
Before I Go to Sleep, Watson
Turn of Mind, Alice LaPlante
The End of Everything, Megan Abbott
Started Early, Took My Dog, Kate Atkinson
61 Hours, Lee Child

Thanks!

Bill said...

My top 11 for 2011:


Sherlock Holmes and the Case of Sabina Hall, by L.B. Greenwood (1988)
The Second Confession, by Rex Stout (1949)
The Sherlockian, by Graham Moore (2010)
The Dime Museum Murders, by Daniel Stashower (1999)

Nine Man's Murder, by Eric Keith (2011)
A Dark and Stormy Night, by Jeanne Dams (2010)
Sherlock Holmes and the Shakespeare Letter, by Barry Grant (2010)
The Magic Bullet, by Larry Millett (2011)
Christmas Is Murder, by C.S. Challinor (2008)
Hercule Poirot's Christmas, by Agatha Christie (1939)
The Affair of the Mutilated Mink, by James Anderson (1981)

Luca Veste said...

I ran a whole series of posts from various writers last week, listing their Top 5 books of 2011. So, there's a ton of lists over on my site.

TomCat said...

I've posted a link to my list of favorite mysteries read over the past twelve months, but I forgot the cut-off number for this was 20 favorites and didn't notice it again until I had added the link to the list. Sorry about that. :/

Andrew Nette said...

This crime fiction list thing has really taken off. My top five is now posted on your site. Thanks for having me.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin