21 March 2013

Forgotten Book: MAIGRET'S SPECIAL MURDER, Georges Simenon


My little green book
My plan this year for my contributions to Friday's Forgotten Books hosted by Pattinase is to feature books I read 20 years ago - in 1993- from the records I have in my "little green book", which I started in 1975. In 1993 I read 111 books and was pretty well addicted to crime fiction by then.
My choice this week is MAIGRET'S SPECIAL MURDER (aka MAIGRET'S DEAD MAN) by Georges Simenon.
The French title was Maigret et son mort, published in 1948, and translated into English in 1964.

There's a full plot outline here and more here.

Synopsis
Basically the novel deals with a plot that focusses on the theme of organised crime.
This theme concerns a gang associated with a series of vicious attacks on the occupants of isolated farms in Northern France culminating in their murder
The reason for the attacks is to steal as much money as possible from the farms and the murders are carried out so as to eliminate any witnesses to the gang’s identity.

1 comment:

George said...

I've read plenty of Simenons, but not this one (under either title). I'll have to look for it online. Nice review!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin