22 August 2023

Review: THE JADE LILY, Kirsty Manning

 My desktop computer is not behaving tonight,  so I'm not able to use my usual review format. Hopefully I  will be able to bring this review up to date later.

Just for now I want to record that I've finished reading this book as an ebook on Libby, by a new to me author, whom I will certainly follow up.

It is mystery rather than my usual crime fiction. It spans at least 7 decades, and world events as they affected a Jewish family forced out of Austria by Hitler. They emigrated to Shanghai and finally the war caught up with them again.

The story begins with Alexandra who is returning to Australia from  London. She knows she is of German and Chinese heritage but mystery surrounds her mother's parentage. She returns to Melbourne where her grandfather is dying, taking many secrets with him.  Alexandra has won a job in Shanghai and her grandmother encourages her to take the job and to do some family history research for herself while she is there.

So this story is told mainly on two narrative stages, and eventually the reader is able to sort out the links. The story is beautifully told and we share the dilemmas each character is faced with, and the choices they made. There are many signs of extensive research by the author.

Highly recommended. 

My rating: 4.7

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin