I've seen lots of New Year's resolutions flying around and my guess is that most people take the opportunity to resolve to do at least one thing a little better, to remake themselves in at least one small way, when the calendar ticks over.
In many ways we set ourselves personal challenges that are reflected on our blogs in some of the challenges running there.
I'm not "into" book reading challenges much myself, although some of the activities I participate in could possibly be called challenges.
However there are many people who organise their reading agenda for the coming year around a set of challenges.
So if you are one of those who participates in a range of challenges, or is even running one or two yourself, I invite you to leave a comment pointing to blog postings, yours or others, where readers can find out about challenges to join. They don't have to be related to crime fiction or murder mysteries, although given the inclination of readers of this blog, that would probably help.
For myself my resolutions for 2009:
- try to get on top of my books to be reviewed pile. There are some 20+ books sitting in that pile now, and I've been feeling very guilty about them for some time. It would be great to get them read
- and also, most importantly, read all the books that I have on loan from friends, and give them back!
- try to read just a little outside the crime fiction genre occasionally. I'm sure it would be good for me, but it does feel a bit like taking your medicine
- restrict myself to one blog posting a day. Now I know almost straight away that this is one that I will break from time to time. I am addicted to blogging. In the face of other addictions that you can get, perhaps this is not such a bad one.
- learn how to back up this blog. Last time I investigated this, I couldn't work out what to do but it would break my heart to lose it all. In reality though I do have copies of individual postings coming in through email but they only go back to the middle of last year, not to the beginning of the blog.
- Sunday Salon
- Friday's Forgotten Books
- What's On Your Nightstand
- Library Thing
- my own Agatha Christie Reading Challenge.
- Carnival of Criminal Minds: have you seen the latest posting?: mine on Murder in the Outback
- and I've joined the Book Review Blog Carnival. You'll see a link to it on the bottom right of this page. Click on future hosts and you'll see that I am listed for April 12. I'm hoping it is an opportunity to spread my reviews a bit more widely.
- challenges you will participate in or know of
- your New Year's resolutions