8 February 2009

Sunday Salon #5 - 8 February 2009

Sunday Salon continues to grow - the counter tells me there are now 335 participants which is huge. You'll have to excuse me if I don't get around to everyone's SS posting, although it is something I like to do. I do love it too when people drop in and let me know they've checked mine out.

I missed catching up with Sunday Salon last week because I was away on holidays.
I took a heap of books with me and managed to read 8 of them. That set me quite a challenge because I write and post reviews of everything I read.
So this week has been catching up on emails, reading blog posts where I can, writing reviews, bringing my database up to date, and then posting the reviews.
I feel like I have been working hard.

If you haven't "met" me before: I am addicted to crime fiction, so if you are too, you might like to check some of my reviews out.
I seem to have read a few Canadian authors in the last week or so: Peter Robinson, Louise Penny, Vicki Delaney.
If you are looking for some recommendations check out Smik's Reviews where I list all the titles I have reviewed since I started this blog at the beginning of 2008. If you have reviewed any of the same books, leave a comment with a link to your review so people who find my blog posting can check your review out too.
A selection of my reviews for the last 3 or 4 years are also posted on Reviewer's Choice.

Postings in the last fortnight
Breaking News
Currently Reading
  • now - DEADLY WATERS, Pauline Rowson
  • next - THE PYRAMID, Henning Mankell
  • sometime soon - THE 19TH WIFE, David Ebershoff
  • also listening to - CORDUROY MANSIONS, Alexander McCall Smith, ready for ch. 81 (I'm a bit behind)
  • in the car - AREA7, Matthew Reilly
Do you read Agatha Christie?
You might be interested in joining in my Agatha Christie Reading Challenge
ACRC Update - 3 February 2009 explains what it is all about.
Even if you don't join the challenge, you can still submit your next blog post about an Agatha Christie novel to the ACRC Blog Carnival. The next carnival will be posted about Feb 21, and you can submit postings from the past.

Do you write Book Reviews?
Then you might be interested in having yours featured on the Book Review Blog Carnival.
Carnival No. 10 is now available for your perusal at Inkweaver Review. Reviews of books ranging from old Robert A. Heinlein science fiction to new books on systems analysis from 22 different reviewers are included in the carnival.
Submissions are now being accepted for carnival No. 11, which will appear at Linus’s Blanket on Feb. 15th. Submissions can be made through this link: http://blogcarnival.com/bc/cprof_5161.html.

11 comments:

JoAnn said...

Thanks for visiting my blog. In reponse to your comment....I read TONS of mysteries when my children were young...I think I burned out on them!

I read Lee Child and Michael Connelly altho Child's last book, Nothing to Lose, was dreadful. Far fetched and boring. Hopefully his upcoming one will be better.

I used to read Tess Gerritsen but think she has gotten sloppy - she now churns out a book a year and that is just not enough time to have it be well-done, in my opinion.

I like Kathy Reichs's books and also her TV series, Bones. Smart show.

serendipity_viv said...

I am impressed with your reading quantity on holiday. 8 books! My husband would go mad if I took that many. Not really into crime books, but I do think it is an area I should explore. Have a great reading week.

Anonymous said...

That's what I call a good holiday, reading eight books! I haven't written my Sunday Salon post yet - must get on with it. I'm in a bit of a reading slump at the moment because I keep starting books one after the other - nothing wrong with them but I keep wanting to read more! Maybe an Agatha Christie would be good today - I started By the Pricking of My Thumbs a few days ago, so I think I'll see if I can finish it.

wisteria said...

My kind of holiday also. I also am like you in that I review everything I read, so I do fall behind sometimes. I enjoyed stopping by your blog today.

gautami tripathy said...

I am going to check out on the crime fiction writers you read! Gonna have fun over this!

Early Salon moments

samantha.1020 said...

I love Agatha Christie! I have a personal challenge to read everything that she has written. She was an amazing writer.

Anonymous said...

Kerrie, as you know, since I think you commented over on my blog, I have joined your Agatha Christie Reading Challenge. So far, I have two down...I also wanted to thank you for the link to the Lisa Scottoline list from The Guardian. I love Scottoline and find her last "dead on."...Today, I'm taking a break from Christie to begin reading The Edge of Sadness by Edwin O'Connor,which won the Pulitzer Prize for Fiction in 1962. I

Yvonne said...

I sometimes read crime fiction. I'm mainly into mysteries, cozies, romantic suspense and thrillers. I haven't read Agatha Christie in many years. I do have Louise Penny's books in my TBR and have heard great things about her series. Eventually I will get to them.

Enjoy your Sunday!

Law and Order said...

Thanks for commenting on my blog Kerrie. And wow! What a lot of crime fiction. What a prolific reader!I love to read crime now and then. Hubby is the biggest crime reader - he loves anyone. I love Ian Rankin and of course our mutual friend Vanda Symon!

Law and Order said...

Thanks for commenting on my blog Kerrie. And wow! What a lot of crime fiction. What a prolific reader!I love to read crime now and then. Hubby is the biggest crime reader - he loves anyone. I love Ian Rankin and of course our mutual friend Vanda Symon!

Anonymous said...

I have the same problem as you do. As soon as I finish a book - I have to review it. If I wait too long I forget little but important things about it.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin