So now I've read 5 of the 6 of the shortlisted nominations for CWA International Dagger. This is how they stand in my rankings:
- 4.9, Johan Theorin, ECHOES FROM THE DEAD, translated by Marlaine Delargy (Doubleday)
- 4.9, Karin Alvtegen, SHADOW, translated by McKinley Burnett, (Canongate)
- 4.8, Arnaldur Indriðason, ARCTIC CHILL, translated by Bernard Scudder and Victoria Cribb (Harvill Secker)
- 4.8, Jo Nesbø, THE REDEEMER, translated by Don Bartlett (Harvill Secker)
- 4.5, Fred Vargas, THE CHALK CIRCLE MAN, translated by Siân Reynolds (Harvill Secker) - my rating 4.5
Stieg Larsson, THE GIRL WHO PLAYED WITH FIRE, translated by Reg Keeland (MacLehose Quercus)
The winners will be announced in London on the evening of July 15
Just looking at the final list, I still think this is a tough one to call.
Norman on Crime Scraps and I have parted ways with SHADOW.
Something to check: Euro Crime's CWA International Dagger polls - compare the "sentimental" with the "logical" favourite.