And just in the nick of time!
I'll post my review later.
Here is how the shortlisted nominations for CWA International Dagger stand in my rankings:
- 4.9, Johan Theorin, ECHOES FROM THE DEAD, translated by Marlaine Delargy (Doubleday)
- 4.9, Karin Alvtegen, SHADOW, translated by McKinley Burnett, (Canongate)
- 4.8, Arnaldur Indriðason, ARCTIC CHILL, translated by Bernard Scudder and Victoria Cribb (Harvill Secker)
- 4.8, Jo Nesbø, THE REDEEMER, translated by Don Bartlett (Harvill Secker)
- 4.7, Stieg Larsson, THE GIRL WHO PLAYED WITH FIRE, translated by Reg Keeland (MacLehose Quercus)
- 4.5, Fred Vargas, THE CHALK CIRCLE MAN, translated by Siân Reynolds (Harvill Secker) - my rating 4.5
Just looking at the final list, I still think this is a tough one to call.
Something to check: Euro Crime's CWA International Dagger polls - compare the "sentimental" with the "logical" favourite. Neither of those polls put ECHOES FROM THE DEAD as the winner. The results of both those polls shows a toss up between 2 books much lower on my list.
In fact, as we say here down under, on my list you could really toss a blanket over the lot, except for THE CHALK CIRCLE MAN which I don't really think is in the running.