11 November 2010

Forgotten Books: BERGERAC: CRIMES OF THE SEASON, Andrew Savill

This week's contribution to Pattinase's Friday's Forgotten Books comes from my records of 1991.

My investigation into this book brought some surprises.
First of all Andrew Savill was a pseudonym for Andrew Taylor
He wrote 6 books in the Bergerac series (from Fantastic Fiction) which became the basis of a 9 series television series. 1981-1991
Bergerac Is Back (1985)
Crimes of the Season (1985)
Bergerac and the Fatal Weakness (1988)
Bergerac and the Jersey Rose (1988)
Bergerac and the Moving Fever (1988)
Bergerac and the Traitor's Child (1988)

from Andrew Taylor's website: As Andrew Saville
 
TV Novelisations (based on scripts by other writers)
EH BRIAN IT'S A WHOPPER
BERGERAC: CRIMES OF THE SEASON


TV Novels (original storylines)
BERGERAC AND THE FATAL WEAKNESS
BERGERAC AND THE MOVING FEVER
BERGERAC AND THE TRAITOR'S CHILD
BERGERAC AND THE JERSEY ROSE


Short Stories (as Andrew Saville)- these were Bergerac stories.

I don't actually remember the BERGERAC series but I'm sure some of the readers of this blog will.
The lead in the Bergerac series was played by John Nettles, whom you will know from the Midsomer series.
Nettles played Sergeant Jim Bergerac in 87 episodes, (1981-1991)
I'm sure now you will recognise the young man on the cover of the Bergerac books.

So did you: read the books, watch the TV series?
Here is a full list of the series, which shows that it was originally created by Robert Banks Stewart who created Shoestring and a number of other television scripts such as Callan.

7 comments:

kathy d. said...

Hi Kerrie,

Sorry to bring in a slight tangent, but I would like to speak for a 2011 Global Book Challenge, as I can't blog onto the websites about it due to technical limitations.

I would love that, but would suggest maybe a few new elements that are different. Don't have specifics, but welcome new aspects.

It's been great, not only expanded my reading horizons and enjoyment, but it's been educational as well. All good.

Kerrie said...

Thanks for that Kathy. I've added your comments into our Friend Feed discussion

Bernadette said...

The Bergerac series was one of my mum's favourites so I've seen them all - one of the reasons she doesn't like Midsomer Murders is that she still thinks of John Nettles as Bergerac

Dorte H said...

I have never read any of the books, but I knew Andrew Taylor wrote them, and I have watched some of the tv episodes. They are good, and Bergerac looked gorgeous, but the series is more action-ridden than the cosy Midsomer series.

pattinase (abbott) said...

It looks like fun. Wish it were on DVD.

Evan Lewis said...

87 episodes? Don't remember seeing a single one in the U.S. I think the name would have grabbed me.

Pelaphus said...

The books were based on the TV series, not the other way around (I think you know that, but it's a little ambiguous).

The 1988 novels are original stories using the series characters.

CRIMES OF THE SEASON is a book of novelized scripts. BERGERAC IS BACK is the same book, reissued in a later edition with a new title (note that it uses a variant version of the same graphic; all the reissued BERGERAC editions use the same respective photos as their first editions).

And there is an earlier title than these, titled simply BERGERAC (1982, BBC Books in the UK, St. Martin's in the US) which is also comprised of teleplay adaptations. That one is by Michael Hardwick.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin