27 January 2011

Forgotten Book - THE NOMINATIVE CASE, Edward Mackin

This contribution to Friday's Forgotten Books, hosted here on my blog tomorrow, for just this week, comes from my records for 1991.

Edward Mackin is better known as Ralph McInerny, the author of the popular Father Dowling mystery series, who taught for over forty years at the University of Notre Dame, where he was the director of the Jacques Maritain Center. He was awarded the Bouchercon Lifetime Achievement Award, and was a member of the President's Committee on the Arts and Humanities. In fact I wrote about one of his Father Dowling books, SLEIGHT OF HAND, in a Forgotten Books post in late 2010. Wikepdia contributes: Some of his fiction has appeared under the pseudonyms of Harry Austin, Matthew FitzRalph, Ernan Mackey, Edward Mackin, and Monica Quill.

I have been able to find little out about THE NOMINATIVE CASE however, which is listed by Fantastic Fiction as one in a considerable list of "Novels". Published in 1990 it looks like it may have been the only title he wrote as Edward Mackin. Good Reads however also lists a novel called THE IRON APES published in 1986, but I suspect they may have confused two different authors.

I know a number of contributors to Friday's Forgotten books were readers of the Father Dowling series, but has anybody read this one, or even better, have it on their shelves? A plot abstract would be great.

7 comments:

George said...

I've read some of the Father Dowling series and enjoyed them. I'll have to look for this title.

Anonymous said...

Will the list of participants be up soon? Please?

Anonymous said...

Where are the Forgotten Friday links?

Anonymous said...

Our guest host appears not to have understood her duties for FFB posts.

Todd Mason said...

Well, she might've been called away from blogging for some reason. She clearly intended to have links up today, by the announcement yesterday. As someone who is doing my usual kibbitzing around between database operations at work, rather than taking an dinner hour to get at least a rough version of what I intend up on my blog (and then going back to work), I can sympathize.

Todd Mason said...

I suspect that if she wasn't attending to more urgent business, she would've killed the Aussie spam that's the first comment by now. I haven't read the "Mackin," Kerrie...though I think I've seen the byline...read just a scrap of the Dowling stories, saw just a bit more of the tv series.

Kerrie said...

This was one of the cases where the time difference between the hemispheres actually made a difference. When I went to bed on Friday night over two thirds of the FFB participants had not yet released their posts - and I refuse to be up at 3 am blogging! Anyway they there are all there now.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin