- #2 in the Inspector Ramsay series
- Published 1991
- Author website
In this second Inspector Ramsay novel, our hero faces a murder investigation on his own doorstep following his impulsive decision to buy a cottage in the quiet Northumberland village of Heppleburn.
When local uproar over a proposed housing development ends in murder, the pressure is once again on Ramsay to act from within and interrogate every possible suspect. But then tragedy strikes a second time, and Ramsay must test his true measure as a detective working against the clock.
Stephen Ramsay seems a little more relaxed in this novel than in the first in the series. He has bought and moved into a cottage in Heppleburn, the setting for the first in the series. He is also better fleshed out and we find out a bit more personal background.
This novel has a number of themes but the main one is a proposed housing development in the village. The woman who originally sold the land to the developer claims she was misled about the nature of the development. She invites her family to stay with her as usual on St. David's Day but that night goes off to see the land developer with an offer to buy back the land. That is the last time her rather dysfunctional family sees her. The next morning she is found dead, murdered.
Ramsay is under pressure to solve the murder and it is obvious that Hunter, his #2, feels he is not taking the steps that he should. Jack Robson who appeared in the first novel makes a second appearance.
I enjoyed this novel and will certainly look for the third.
My rating: 4.5
I've also read
- RAVEN BLACK - Shetland #1
- WHITE NIGHTS - Shetland#2
- RED BONES - Shetland #3
- 5.0, BLUE LIGHTNING - Shetland#4
- 5.0, DEAD WATER - Shetland#5
- 4.6, THIN AIR - Shetland #6
- 4.3, MURDER IN PARADISE - Palmer-Jones series #3
- TELLING TALES (Vera Stanhope) #2
- 4.8, SILENT VOICES, (Vera Stanhope) #4
- 5.0, THE GLASS ROOM (Vera Stanhope) #5
- 4.9, HARBOUR STREET (Vera Stanhope) #6
- 4.5, BURIAL OF GHOSTS - stand-alone
- 4.8, THE MOTH CATCHER (Vera Stanhope #7)
- 4.4, TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE (Quick Reads)
- 4.7, THE SEAGULL - (Vera Stanhope #8)
- 4.6, THE LONG CALL - Two Rivers #1
- 4.9, THE DARKEST EVENING - Vera #9
- 4.5, A LESSON DYING - Inspector Ramsay #1
Post a Comment