- Latest additions
- 2018 Reading Challenges
- 2018 Reviews
- Aussie authors read in 2018 - 2015
- Authors A-Z
- 2017 Reviews
- 2017 Reading Challenges Update
- 2017 Global Reading Challenge
- All Reviews
- USA Fiction Challenge 2014-
- 2016 Reading Challenges Update
- 2016 Good Reading projects
- 2016 Reviews
- Agatha Christie Novels
- 2016 Vintage Cover Scavenger Hunt
- 2016-2014 Global Reading Challenge
- 2015 Reading Challenges Update
- 2015 Reviews
- 2015 Authors A to Z Reading Challenge!
- Vintage Mystery BINGO 2015
- Agatha Christie Short Stories
- Reviews 2012, 2013, 2014
- Reviews: 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011
- 2014 Reading Challenges Update
- 2012 & 2011 Reading Challenges Update
- 2013 Reading Challenges Update
- Crime Fiction Alphabet
- 2013 Global Reading Challenge
- 2012 Global Reading Challenge
29 March 2010
Review - EXIT MUSIC, Ian Rankin
Now I know most of my fellow contributors to crime fiction alphabet won't interpret the rules as liberally as I do - but after all rules are meant to be broken and I am after all, travelling. That's my excuse anyway.
And it's only a semantic accident that XIT has an E in front of it!
I read EXIT MUSIC soon after it was published in 2007 and it rated as a 5 for me.
John Rebus is facing his last week in the police force. He will turn 60 in 10 days and is legally required to retire. He has no vision of what he will do in retirement and is determined to work as he's always done, right to the end. Late at night, at the foot of Raeburn Wynd the body of a Russian poet is discovered. So solving this crime will be Rebus' last case.
But there is so much more to be resolved like Rebus' biggest unfinished business is with Big Ger Cafferty. He would dearly like to put Cafferty away forever, but is that going to be a legacy he will leave to DS Siobhan Clarke?
Rankin manages to bed this case against the issues of real time Scotland, focussing on Scottish independence, an issue that dominated the Scottish elections of 2006. Not a short read, but certainly an engrossing one. It left me hoping against hope that this isn't the last we see of Rebus!
Inspector Rebus novels - thank you Fantastic Fiction
1. Knots and Crosses (1987)
2. Hide and Seek (1990)
3. Tooth and Nail (1992)
4. Strip Jack (1992)
5. The Black Book (1993)
6. Mortal Causes (1994)
7. Let It Bleed (1995)
8. Black and Blue (1997)
9. The Hanging Garden (1998)
10. Dead Souls (1999)
11. Set in Darkness (2000)
12. The Falls (2001)
13. Resurrection Men (2002)
14. A Question of Blood (2003)
15. Fleshmarket Close (2004)
aka Fleshmarket Alley
16. The Naming Of The Dead (2006)
17. Exit Music (2007)
Non-Rebus reviews on my blog: