15 March 2010

Crime Fiction Alphabet: V is Vargas

This week's Crime Fiction Alphabet is the letter V.

So much to choose from - but I have decided to feature reviews I've written of Fred Vargas novels.

Fred Vargas is a French crime fiction author. Her novels have been translated into English out of order (see the list from Euro Crime below) but if you've never read any then I really suggest you read them in order.

I've read and reviewed 4, and have just realised that I've still got one to go.

THE CHALK CIRCLE MAN (4.5)
SEEKING WHOM HE MAY DEVOUR (4.9)
WASH THIS BLOOD CLEAN FROM MY HAND (4.8)
THIS NIGHT'S FOUL WORK (4.6)


List of titles from Euro Crime- the second date is that of an English translation:
The Chalk Circle Man ( L'Homme aux Cercles Bleus 1996)20091
Seeking Whom He May Devour (L'homme a L'envers 1999)20042
Have Mercy on Us All (Paris Vite et Reviens Tard 2001)20033
Wash This Blood Clean From My Hand (Sous les Vents de Neptune 2004)20075
This Night's Foul Work ( Dans les Bois Éternels 2006)20086

Her central character is Jean-Baptiste Adamsberg, Commissaire of the police headquarters in the 5th Arrondissement of Paris. He solves crimes by flashes of intuition rather than logic.

Vargas has garnered a number of awards including CWA Dagger shortlists, and the Duncan Lawrie International Award. Fred Vargas is the pseudonym of French historian, archaeologist and writer Frédérique Audoin-Rouzeau, born in 1957. There are 6 of her novels that have not been translated into English yet. She does not appear to have published anything since 2008.

4 comments:

Bernadette said...

I've only read two Vargas novels but my favourite is THE THREE EVANGELISTS which is a standalone. It's beautiful.

Kerrie said...

I'd fogotten I haven't read that one either Bernadette. On Vargas own site I see that is one of a series of 3

Anonymous said...

Kerrie - You chose a fine author : )! I liked This Night's Foul Work quite a lot.

gautami tripathy said...

A new to me author. Gotta check her out!

Here is my Crime Fiction Alphabet: V post!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin