5 April 2010

Crime Fiction Alphabet - Y is for Felicity Young

Felicity Young has certainly made her mark on Australian crime fiction, and is an author you should look for. She is my pick this week for the for the letter Y.

I have recently reviewed Felicity's latest novel TAKE OUT

Felicity has written 4 novels
Look for A CERTAIN MALICE, AN EASEFUL DEATH, and HARUM SCARUM, TAKE OUT.

Reviews of Felicity Young's books on my blog:
A CERTAIN MALICE (4.8)
HARUM SCARUM (4.5)

My mini-review of AN EASEFUL DEATH - my rating 4.6
Somebody is killing young women in Perth, Western Australia, and then, post-mortem, posing their painted bodies carefully in relatively public places. The first body is painted bronze, the second silver ... you get the picture. False clues are left stuck to the bodies, and each has AN EASEFUL DEATH written down one leg.

This is the second novel by Felicity Young. It features D.S. Stevie Hooper newly seconded to the Serious Crime Squad in Perth. She is young, un-married with a young daughter, keen to do well, and working with a boss who is also a good friend. In this case Stevie is the liaison with the eminent profiler who is helping the squad with the case.

Quotes from publications by the profiler appear as tag lines in each of the chapters (but I must confess, didn't always seem significant to me). The action of the book mainly seems to happen over a one week period and comes thick and fast. There are plenty of candidates offered for the serial killer and I must confess I punted for the wrong one!

What I like about Felicity's novels is that her detectives seem to live in my world, a 21st century one that has the technology I use, and she accompanies that with a recognition of the dangers that technology brings for its users.

1 comment:

Bernadette said...

I've read A Certain Malice and An Easeful Death and enjoyed them both. I have Harum Scarum on the TBR pile and will add Take Out some time soon. I do like Felicity's books too

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin