22 April 2010

Forgotten Book: SCIENCE and the DETECTION OF CRIME, C.R.M Cuthbert

Published Hutchinson 1958.
Here is a book that appears in my records in September 2007.
At the time of publication, forensic science was still young, only established in Britain 21 years before.

It seems there may in fact have been two authors: C.R.M. Cuthbert and O.W. Wilson
I'm quite impressed that I apparently read it, because non-fiction has never been of major interest to me.

My research indicates that this title is regarded highly in forensic science circles.
There are libraries in Britain that are still holding a copy.

I wasn't able to find a cover image, but I was lucky enough to find a review in The Age newspaper written shortly after publication. You can see the full article here courtesy of the Google News Archive.

At the end of the article the reviewer reveals the author's belief that science will never really impact on solving most crimes.

I wonder how he would react to the use of scientific techniques such as DNA, and more detailed fingerprinting, in the solving of cold cases these days?

Does anybody else remember this book?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kerrie - This is really interesting; thanks for sharing. I find it fascinating to "look back" and see how our attitudes have changed over the years. This is a great example of that.

Used Machinery said...

Great criminal law i was found in this book..

Louisiana said...

om mentalists slated the idea that sensors could spot people up to no good from their pulse rate, breathing, skin temperature, or fleeting facial expressions.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin