8 April 2010

Forgotten Book: THE MURDERS OF RICHARD III, Elizabeth Peters

We are all familiar with Elizabeth Peter's Amelia Peabody books, but what about her earlier ones?

THE MURDERS OF RICHARD III was published in 1974. #2 in her Jacqueline Kirby series.
Jacqueline Kirby is fascinated by the assembled guests at an English country mansion who have assumed the dress and lifestyle of Richard III's court, until someone decides to recreate his historic crimes.

There were 4 titles in the Jacqueline Kirby series
1. The Seventh Sinner (1972)
2. The Murders of Richard III (1974)
3. Die for Love (1984)
4. Naked Once More (1989)
and then, it seems, Amelia Peabody took over.

Elizabeth Peters and Barbara Michaels are pseudonyms for Barbara Mertz. She has been a published writer since 1964, and now has over 60 novels to her credit. Under the name Barbara Michaels, she writes primarily gothic and supernatural thrillers.
As Barbara Mertz she was named Grand Master at the 1986 Bouchercon and by the Mystery Writers of America in 1998.
As Elizabeth Peters, she has received five Agatha (Malice Domestic) and one Anthony (Bouchercon) nomination.
As Barbara Mertz she has written 3 non-fiction books.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kerrie - Thanks for reminding me about the Kirby series. As you say, the Peabody series is much better-known, and I confess I haven't read any of the Kirby novels. I'm going to have to remedy that; the Peabody series is a good one...

Hannah Stoneham said...

This sounds fantastic - so good in fact that i will have a look on amazon now. It reminds me of the Richard III appreciation society who meet up and commemorate Richard III in the UK - I can just imagine. Looking forward to the book.

Happy Thursday

Hannah

Maria said...

Back in the day, when I was reading Peters, I looked all over for the Kirby books--never did find them. I guess with Amazon and other online places these days, I'll have to see if I can find any of them. I love all of Peters work--her Barbara Michaels, her Vicky Bliss series and of course, the Amelia Peabody ones!!!

Maria

Anonymous said...

I think I've read all the Kirby books. I do remember that DIE FOR LOVE is hilarious. Set at a romance writers convention. Some of the scenes are priceless. Thanks for reminding me about this part of Barbara Mertz's backlist.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin