- Latest additions
- 2016 Reviews
- All Reviews
- 2016 Reading Challenges Update
- 2016 Good Reading projects
- 2016 Vintage Cover Scavenger Hunt
- Authors A-Z
- USA Fiction Challenge 2014-
- Vintage Mystery BINGO 2015
- 2016-2014 Global Reading Challenge
- Aussie authors read in 2016 & 2015
- 2015 Reading Challenges Update
- Agatha Christie Novels
- 2015 Authors A to Z Reading Challenge!
- Agatha Christie Short Stories
- 2014 Reading Challenges Update
- Reviews 2012, 2013, 2014
- 2015 Reviews
- Reviews: 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011
- 2012 & 2011 Reading Challenges Update
- 2013 Reading Challenges Update
- 2012 Global Reading Challenge
- 2013 Global Reading Challenge
- Crime Fiction Alphabet
20 May 2010
Forgotten Books: COMA by Robin Cook
This week's edition of Friday's Forgotten Books is being hosted by George Kelley.
1990 was the year I had a wallow in Robin Cook's novels according to my little green book.
COMA (published in 1977) wasn't the first one I read, but then I wasn't as hooked on reading books in order of publication back then.
COMA laid down a successful plot style for the author. Many of Robin Cook's 30 titles could be classified as medical thrillers, a reflection of his medical training and his career path. It was a style of book I eventually moved away from reading, but I obviously loved them 20 years ago.
Basically the story revolves around the higher than usual incidence of patients slipping into a coma occurring in a Boston hospital, and then the use of their bodies for blackmarketing in body parts.
The book was a New York Times best seller and was also voted as the number one thriller of the year by the New York Times.
It was made into a highly successful film, Coma by Michael Crichton in 1978.
There's even a study guide if you want one.
Titles to check (from Fantastic Fiction)
The Year of the Intern (1972)
Mortal Fear (1988)
Harmful Intent (1989)
Vital Signs (1990)
Fatal Cure (1993)
Acceptable Risk (1994)
Jack Stapleton / Laurie Montgomery
1. Blindsight (1991)
2. Contagion (1995)
3. Chromosome 6 (1997)
4. Vector (1999)
5. Marker (2005)
6. Crisis (2006)
7. Critical (2007)
8. Foreign Body (2008)
9. Intervention (2009)
10. Cure (2010)