9 December 2013

Report : Vintage Mystery Challenge 2013

With not many vintage mystery books on the immediate horizon, I'm declaring myself "finished" for 2013.
I'm a bit disappointed that I didn't really get much variety into my reading as you'll see from the list below.

All books must have been written before 1960 and be from the mystery category (crime fiction, detective fiction, espionage, etc.).  
The challenge was hosted by Bev at MY READER'S BLOCK

There are a number of categories and each book can only count for one category. 
I aimed for 8 or 16 categories and read 8

1. Colorful Crime: a book with a color or reference to color in the title
 4.4, THE PALE HORSE, Agatha Christie

2. Murder by the Numbers: a book with a number, quantity in the title

4.4, 4.50 FROM PADDINGTON, Agatha Christie

 
4. Leave It to the Professionals: a book featuring cops, private eyes, secret service, professional spies, etc.

4.2, DESTINATION UNKNOWN, Agatha Christie 

6. Yankee Doodle Dandy: one mystery set in the United States

4.2, THE BIG SLEEP, Raymond Chandler- 1939  

7. World Traveler: one mystery set in any country except the US or Britain

4.3, PIETR THE LATVIAN, Georges Simenon 1930 - France 

8. Dangerous Beasts: a book with an animal in the title (The Case of the Grinning Gorilla; The Canary Murder Case; etc.)

4.3, CAT AMONG THE PIGEONS, Agatha Christie 

11. Malicious Men: a book with a man in the title--either by name (Maigret & the Yellow Dog) or by reference (The Case of the Haunted Husband)
4.1, DEAD MAN'S FOLLY, Agatha Christie

16. Locked Rooms: a locked-room mystery

 4.5, ORDEAL BY INNOCENCE, Agatha Christie 

Bev has a really interesting looking challenge running next year called
Vintage Mystery BINGO 2014: Silver & Gold Edition 
with two levels to the challenge:  
Golden Vintage - books written before 1960

 
















 and Silver Vintage: books written 1960 - 1989


















I must admit I'm tempted. I do read a lot of the Silver category and the idea of being a bit more organised always appeals to me..

4 comments:

Irene said...

I am SO tempted!

Anonymous said...

Well done, Kerrie. I do admire the way you do these challenges.

Mary R. said...

Congratulations on completing this challenge. I read the same animal book you did for this. When I started this challenge I wondered if I could do it with all Agatha Christie because a year full of reading AC sounded great to me. I hope you enjoyed it.

Bev Hankins said...

Congratulations, Kerrie! Be watching...there will be the year-end drawing for a prize amongst the finishers. And there is also the Vintage Scavenger Hunt coming as well.

I do hope you give in to temptation and join us for Vintage Bingo next year!

And Irene--please give in as well. The more the merrier!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin