31 July 2013

Crime Fiction Alphabet: Q is for Mrs Queen


Following a pattern established in 2012, my contributions to the Crime Fiction Alphabet in 2013 will mainly feature authors or books that I have read recently.

This week features the letter Q.

So I'm in trouble today and my choice is NOT crime fiction. We read so few books that feature the letter Q. But occasionally we need a little bit of lighter reading, and that's my excuse!

My choice this week is MRS QUEEN TAKES THE TRAIN by William Kuhn
 
Mrs Queen Takes the Train wittily imagines the kerfuffle that transpires when a bored Queen Elizabeth strolls out of the palace in search of a little fun, leaving behind a desperate team of courtiers who must find the missing Windsor before a national scandal erupts.

Reminiscent of Alan Bennett’s The Uncommon Reader, this lively, wonderfully inventive romp takes readers into the mind of the grand matriarch of Britain’s Royal Family, bringing us an endearing runaway Queen Elizabeth on the town—and leading us behind the Buckingham Palace walls and into the upstairs/downstairs spaces of England’s monarchy.


She could recall Nanny taking her on the train to Sandringham all by herself one Christmas. What a treat that was! (Photo by Edward G. Malindine/Topical Press Agency/Getty Images) Copyright: Getty Images

Read my review

See what others have chosen for the letter Q.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kerrie - Oh, yes, I remember your post about this! It did sound like a fun read.

TracyK @ Bitter Tea & Mystery said...

This sounds like a lot of fun. I missed your review earlier, so I am glad you featured this book again.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin