26 June 2012

Crime Fiction Alphabet: F is for Ferris


I've decided that for my participation in the Crime Fiction Alphabet in 2012 I will highlight recently read books or their authors.

So they'll all come from my 2012 Reviews.
At least that's the plan.

My choice for the letter F is THE HANGING SHED by Gordon Ferris

 


Synopsis (Amazon)

Glasgow, 1946: The last time Douglas Brodie came home it was 1942 and he was a dashing young warrior in a kilt. Now, the war is over but victory's wine has soured and Brodie's back in Scotland to try and save childhood friend Hugh Donovan from the gallows. Everyone thought Donovan was dead, shot down in the war. Perhaps it would have been kinder if he had been killed. The man who returned was unrecognizable: mutilated, horribly burned. Donovan keeps his own company, only venturing out for heroin to deaden the pain of his wounds. When a local boy is found raped and murdered, there is only one suspect... more


THE HANGING SHED has made the longlist for this year's Theakstons Old Peculier Crime Novel of the year. 
For me it was a very satisfactory mix of authentic historical setting with crime fiction/thriller. 

This was a book that I took a long time to getting around to read. I bought it cheaply for my Kindle, and indeed all of Ferris' books are available for the Kindle at a really good price.

Ferris has written only 4 books and I do have another on my Kindle, which I must read soon.

Douglas Brodie
1. The Hanging Shed (2011)
2. Bitter Water (2012)

See what others have chosen this week in the Crime Fiction Alphabet

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kerrie - Atmospheric, historical, a good mystery? My kind of novel and this one does sound good :-). Thanks for featuring.

Marina Sofia said...

Not sure Glasgow qualifies as paradise though... But the book sounds intriguing!

Peggy Ann said...

I must read these books! I love Scotland as a locale. Thanks!

TracyK said...

When I read your review back in May, I made a note to follow up on these. Both series are set in a time period I enjoy reading about. And Scotland would be a different locale that I don't know much about.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin