7 June 2009

CWA International Dagger Shortlist Announced

I have read 3 *** of the shortlisted nominations for CWA International Dagger and have 2 of the remaining 3 in my TBR.
The winners will be announced in London on the evening of July 15 - I wonder if I can get my skates on and read the other 3 by then?
I have linked the titles I have already read to my reviews.
Just looking at the final list, I think this is going to be a tough one to call.
  • Karin Alvtegen, SHADOW, translated by McKinley Burnett, (Canongate)
  • *** Arnaldur Indriðason, ARCTIC CHILL, translated by Bernard Scudder and Victoria Cribb (Harvill Secker)- my rating 4.8
  • Stieg Larsson, THE GIRL WHO PLAYED WITH FIRE, translated by Reg Keeland (MacLehose Quercus)
  • Jo Nesbø, THE REDEEMER, translated by Don Bartlett (Harvill Secker)
  • *** Johan Theorin, ECHOES FROM THE DEAD, translated by Marlaine Delargy (Doubleday) - my rating 4.9
  • *** Fred Vargas, THE CHALK CIRCLE MAN, translated by Siân Reynolds (Harvill Secker) - my rating 4.5
There are comprehensive details about each book and author on the CWA page.

My notes:

This award was previously called the Duncan Lawrie International Dagger but is now called The CWA International Dagger.

This year's CWA International Dagger is for books that have been published in the UK between June 1 2008 and May 31 2009, with a final closing date for entries of April 17 2009

Fred Vargas has been listed in CWA awards every year since 2005, i.e., this is her 5th nomination in a row.
SEEKING WHOM HE MAY DEVOUR was a finalist for a Dagger Award in 2005. Vargas went on to win the Duncan Lawrie International Dagger twice with THE THREE EVANGELISTS (2006) and WASH THIS BLOOD CLEAN FROM MY HAND (2007). In 2008 THE NIGHT'S FOUL WORK was shortlisted for the International Dagger.

There is an Overview of the Awards here.
Winners in previous years:
2008 Dominique Manotti - Lorraine Connection - EuroCrime (Arcadia Books)
2007 Fred Vargas - Wash this Blood Clean from my Hand
2006 Fred Vargas - The Three Evangelists (Harvill)
2005 the categories were different but a Gold Dagger went to Arnaldur Indridason for Silence of the Grave

See other comments by Crime Scraps and Euro Crime.

This week and next I am running a poll in the right hand column asking which ones you've read.
Which do you think will win? Will you read them all? How will you rank them?
Do leave a comment

9 comments:

Kerrie said...

Currently my listing would be
ECHOES FROM THE DEAD (4.9)
ARCTIC CHILL (4.8)
THE CHALK CIRCLE MAN (4.5)

Peter Rozovsky said...

I've read The Redeemer, I've just started The Chalk Circle Man, and I just bought Echoes From the Dead.
I'm also a big Arnaldur fan, which leaves Karin Alvtegen and Stieg Larsson as my blank spots. Of the authors I've read, I'd say there are some strong books on that list.
==============
Detectives Beyond Borders
“Because Murder Is More Fun Away rom Home”

http://detectivesbeyondborders.blogspot.com/

Roger Cornwell said...

Thanks for the mention. Readers can also comment on the books shortlisted for the International Dagger on our forum at thecwa.co.uk/forum, and also on books they would like to see on the shortlist for the Gold Dagger, which will be revealed on 15 July.

To be eligible, books must have been published in the UK between 1 June 2008 and 31 May 2009 -- US and other publication dates are almost guaranteed to be different.

Regards,
Roger Cornwell (CWA webmaster)

Gavin said...

Yikes! What a list..several of these are not out in the US yet.

Uriah Robinson said...

Thanks for the link Kerrie. You are in for a treat reading The Redeemer and The Girl who Played with Fire, but I do think the Theorin will win.

Bastian said...

I think i will buy them all ! What a strong list, i can't even dare to imagine who gonna win.
But in that list my favorite author would be Arnaldur Indridason.

Kerrie said...

I have MUST find the time to read them Norman, but I will have to stop blogging, stop emailing, stop reading RSS, stop friend feeding...

Kerrie said...

Good to see you here Bastian. First time? Drop back soon

Uriah Robinson said...

I have now read all six and will be posting next week about my impressions.
But I would agree with your rankings of those three, the problem is fitting in the Nesbo, Larsson and Alvtegen into those rankings.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin