The winners will be announced in London on the evening of July 15 - I wonder if I can get my skates on and read the other 3 by then?
I have linked the titles I have already read to my reviews.
Just looking at the final list, I think this is going to be a tough one to call.
- Karin Alvtegen, SHADOW, translated by McKinley Burnett, (Canongate)
- *** Arnaldur Indriðason, ARCTIC CHILL, translated by Bernard Scudder and Victoria Cribb (Harvill Secker)- my rating 4.8
- Stieg Larsson, THE GIRL WHO PLAYED WITH FIRE, translated by Reg Keeland (MacLehose Quercus)
- Jo Nesbø, THE REDEEMER, translated by Don Bartlett (Harvill Secker)
- *** Johan Theorin, ECHOES FROM THE DEAD, translated by Marlaine Delargy (Doubleday) - my rating 4.9
- *** Fred Vargas, THE CHALK CIRCLE MAN, translated by Siân Reynolds (Harvill Secker) - my rating 4.5
This award was previously called the Duncan Lawrie International Dagger but is now called The CWA International Dagger.
This year's CWA International Dagger is for books that have been published in the UK between June 1 2008 and May 31 2009, with a final closing date for entries of April 17 2009
Fred Vargas has been listed in CWA awards every year since 2005, i.e., this is her 5th nomination in a row.
SEEKING WHOM HE MAY DEVOUR was a finalist for a Dagger Award in 2005. Vargas went on to win the Duncan Lawrie International Dagger twice with THE THREE EVANGELISTS (2006) and WASH THIS BLOOD CLEAN FROM MY HAND (2007). In 2008 THE NIGHT'S FOUL WORK was shortlisted for the International Dagger.
There is an Overview of the Awards here.
Winners in previous years:
2008 Dominique Manotti - Lorraine Connection - EuroCrime (Arcadia Books)
2007 Fred Vargas - Wash this Blood Clean from my Hand
2006 Fred Vargas - The Three Evangelists (Harvill)
2005 the categories were different but a Gold Dagger went to Arnaldur Indridason for Silence of the Grave
See other comments by Crime Scraps and Euro Crime.
This week and next I am running a poll in the right hand column asking which ones you've read.
Which do you think will win? Will you read them all? How will you rank them?
Do leave a comment