- Latest additions
- 2016 Reviews
- All Reviews
- 2016 Reading Challenges Update
- 2016 Good Reading projects
- 2016 Vintage Cover Scavenger Hunt
- Authors A-Z
- USA Fiction Challenge 2014-
- Vintage Mystery BINGO 2015
- 2016-2014 Global Reading Challenge
- Aussie authors read in 2016 & 2015
- 2015 Reading Challenges Update
- Agatha Christie Novels
- 2015 Authors A to Z Reading Challenge!
- Agatha Christie Short Stories
- 2014 Reading Challenges Update
- Reviews 2012, 2013, 2014
- 2015 Reviews
- Reviews: 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011
- 2012 & 2011 Reading Challenges Update
- 2013 Reading Challenges Update
- 2012 Global Reading Challenge
- 2013 Global Reading Challenge
- Crime Fiction Alphabet
11 August 2010
Review: THE MESSENGER, Daniel Silva (Audio)
I read this as an audio book
A daring attack on the Pope and the semi-destruction of St. Peter's Basilica leads to an alliance, even if it has to be a secret one, between Israeli and American anti-terrorist squads with the aim of ridding the world of two of its most powerful and evil men.
For Sarah Bancroft, once rejected by the CIA as an agent after 9/11, there is no hesitation when she is invited to be part of the team that brings Ahmed Bin Shafiq down by infiltrating the household of a Saudi billionaire and art collector named Abdul Aziz al-Bakari.
THE MESSENGER is #6 in Daniel Silva's Gabriel Allon series. Although I was aware that I had begun mid-series, I felt that THE MESSENGER stood well on its own. The author leaks just enough background information into the main story so that the reader/listener is not left feeling out in the cold, as it were.
THE MESSENGER is a thriller, rather than crime fiction. There's quite a bit of violence, because Gabriel Allon is pretty ruthless. But there are some very highly charged scenarios, and at least one time that Gabriel appears to be done for, although you suspect he'll survive, just, because, after all, this is only book 6 in a 10 book series isn't it?
My rating: 4.5
Daniel Silva's website (read a description and chapter one there)
There are two other things to look at: the dossier on Gabrial Allon, and Behind the series, in which the author tells you how he created the series, and much more about Gabriel and the other characters in the books. That's when I discovered that not only have I begun the stories mid series, but that THE MESSENGER is the middle book of a trilogy.
Gabriel Allon series
1. The Kill Artist (2000)
2. The English Assassin (2002)
3. The Confessor (2003)
4. A Death in Vienna (2004)
5. Prince of Fire (2005)
6. The Messenger (2006)
7. The Secret Servant (2007)
8. Moscow Rules (2008)
9. The Defector (2009)
10. The Rembrandt Affair (2010)