4 August 2010

Canadian Book Challenge 2010-2011

I've decided I'm a sucker for challenges this year.

The Canadian Book Challenge is hosted by John Mutford who blogs at The Book Mine Set.
You have one year to read 13 Canadian books and review them somewhere online, from Canada Day, July 1st, 2010- Canada Day, July 1st, 2011. There will be check-ins at the beginning of each month to see how everyone is progressing and have their current status marked in the sidebar of this blog. Participants are encouraged to read each others' reviews, discuss the books, and cheer one another on.


As always, my books will all be crime fiction.

So far
  1. 4.9, A RULE AGAINST MURDER,  Louise Penny (20 July 2010)  
already on my shelves:
Peter Robinson,  A DEDICATED MAN
Peter Robinson, ALL THE COLOURS OF DARKNESS

Vicki Delany, WHITEOUT

On order from the library
Louise Penny, THE BRUTAL TELLING
Louise Penny, BURY YOUR DEAD

Good reference point: Arthur Ellis Awards shortlist; past winners

4 comments:

Bernadette said...

I have a couple of William Deverell books I can loan you Kerrie - he seems to be reasonably prolific. I'm reading one myself at the moment about a retired lawyer who has to come out of retirement to help one of his old clients who is a thief but not a murderer.

kathy d. said...

I suggest reading "The Suspect," by L.R. (Laurali Rose) Wright who wrote a series featuring a police inspector set in western British Columbia. That is the first one and it beat out Ruth Rendell for an award in the mid 1980s. It's quite good.
Felony and Mayhem Press republished this and one other in this series and is going to republish more.
Book Depository has this book and some others by Wright, but I don't know what's in the series and which are not.

Jose Ignacio Escribano said...

Kerrie the only Canadian book I've read is What's Bred in the Bone by Robertson Davies, I like it very much but afraid it won't qualify exactly as crime fiction. But I will follow your progress and wait for your suggestions in this challenge to fill the gap.

Kerrie said...

Thanks for the offer Bernadette - I'll take you up on that - and thanks for the suggestions Jose Ignacio and kathy. My library has Acts of Murder by Wright kathy, have you read that one?
They don't seem to have heard of Robertson Davies Jose Ignacio, but I'll keep him in mind

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin