2 March 2012

Plans, plans, plans

In general I tend to read as the mood takes me, from the books I have available.

Every now and then though I take a look at the reading challenges I have signed up for and try to make plans for what I will read. I always have far more books than I can really cope with though.
I do have lots to choose from on Mt TBR and on my Kindle
I am managing about 12 to 14 books a month, and one of those has to be an Agatha Christie.

Here is what I have done so far: 2012 Reading Challenges Update 

Currently I'm reading
THE NOBODIES ALBUM by Carolyn Parkhurst which will fit into my American author challenge
I'm listening to WITCH HUNT by Ian Rankin and that will go into British books.
And my next Agatha Christie is SPARKLING CYNANIDE to be read for the Agatha Christie Reading Challenge in the next 3 weeks or so.

I have to read 3 books to finish the Canadian Book Challenge 2011-2012 
Probable choices:
THE BURNING EDGE by Rick Mofina
THE RIVER by Cheryl Kaye Tardif
one of a number by Peter Robinson

For the 2012 Global Reading Challenge
I have already read 10 out of a required 21.
So I have to read another 11
  • 3 from Africa
  • 3 from Asia
  • 1 from New Zealand
  • 1 from Cuba or Mexico
  • 3 from South America
I have a collection on my Kindle including
MIXED BLOOD by Roger Smith
DEATH OF THE MANTIS by Michael Stanley
WITNESS THE NIGHT by Kishwar Desai
ASIA HAND by Christopher Moore
CHINATOWN BEAT by Henry Chang
NEEDLE IN A HAYSTACK by Ernesto Mallo
TREACHERY IN THE YARD by Adimchinma Ibe

In my American author challenge I'm aiming for 20 titles but have only read 3 so far, with another nearly completed. I have so many American authors on Mt. TBR that I don't think that will be too difficult.

In the Aussie Author Challenge I have read 5 out of the 20 I want to read.
I have at least 20 Australian titles lying around including
RIP OFF by Kel Robertson
CHELSEA MANSIONS by Barry Maitland
TORN APART by Peter Corris
COOKING THE BOOKS by Kerry Greenwood
WATCH OUT FOR ME by Sylvia Johnson
KISS OF DEATH by PD Martin
DEATH MASK by Kathryn Fox


I really need to get cracking on the Nordic Challenge. I have read only 2 out of 20 so far.
I have
THE ABOMINABLE MAN by Maj Sjowall & Per Wahloo
NIGHT ROUNDS by Helene Tursten
DREGS by John Lier Horst
THE FINAL MURDER by Anne Holt
THE BOY IN THE SUITCASE by Lene Kaaberbol & Agnete Friis
NEXT OF KIN by Elsebeth Egholm
LETHAL INVESTMENTS by K.O. Dahl
THE QUARRY by Johan Theorin
THE ICE PRINCESS by Camilla Lackberg
THE TROUBLED MAN by Henning Mankell
THE INSPECTOR AND SILENCE by Hakan Nesser
BURNED by Thomas Enger
RED WOLF by Liza Marklund

But you know what they say about plans..
And I haven't even thought about some of the other reading challenges....
And then what of my resolve to read some non-crime-fiction?

And then there are all the other books that just don't fit into the challenges. They'll get read too :-)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, Kerrie, the reading you are able to accomplish leaves me in absolute awe!

Kerrie said...

I think it is called retirement Margot, sometimes travel.

Kathy d. said...

Can't wait for your reviews of the Nordic fiction.

The Boy in the Suitcase was a superb read. The Inspector and Silence is one of Nesser's best. Red Wolf is interesting, an unusual protagonist.

Susan said...

I've just picked up the first Nesser book at Christmas. And what's this about Johan Theorin, is that a new book by him on your list? I can only find an Amazon note that says it's not available. Is it old or new?

Half the fun of challenges is making the plans to read them, isn't it? Hmm, I have to go check some of them out too. I'm reading the Wahloo/Sojwall series through from the beginning. And I have the latest Jo Nesbo (the Leopard) to read very soon....never mind all the mysteries I am finding. It's fun to make lists! lol You do have an impressive selection there, Kerrie.

Kerrie said...

I bought THE QUARRY back in July last year for my Kindle Susan.
As the last snow melts on the Swedish island of Öland, Per Morner is preparing for his children’s Easter visit. But his plans are disrupted when he receives a phone call from his estranged father, Jerry, begging for help.Per finds Jerry close to death in his blazing woodland studio. He’s been stabbed, and two dead bodies are later discovered in the burnt-out building. The only suspect, Jerry’s work partner, is confirmed as one of the dead. But why does Jerry insist his colleague is still alive? And why does he think he’s still a threat to his life? When Jerry dies in hospital a few days later, Per becomes determined to find out what really happened. But the closer he gets to the truth, the more danger he finds himself in. And nowhere is more dangerous than the nearby quarry...

Maxine Clarke said...

That's some impressive list, Kerrie, or to be more accurate, lists! I have read some of the books you plan to read and have liked them a lot, so I hope you do, too.

I am getting through quite a lot at the moment - not going out and not watching TV helps a lot ;-)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin