2 June 2013

What I read in May 2013

Crime Fiction Pick of the Month 2013

Another productive month with some really worthwhile and satisfying reads. Some new Aussie authors to try too.
My pick of the month was TRUST YOUR EYES by Linwood Barclay
The author, a Canadian, has been a favourite of mine for some years, and in fact I have another of his titles on my shelves right now.

Synopsis (author's website)

A schizophrenic man spends his days and nights on a website called Whirl360, believing he’s employed by the CIA to store the details of every town and city in the world in his head. Then one day, he sees something that shouldn’t be there: a woman being murdered behind a window on a New York street. Suddenly Thomas has more to deal with than just his delusions, as he gets drawn into a deadly conspiracy.

From Orion Books
Map-obsessed Thomas spends his days and nights on a virtual tour of the world through his computer screen, believing he must store the details of every town and city in his head. Then one day, while surfing a street view program, he sees something that shouldn't be there: a woman being murdered behind a window on a New York street.
When Thomas tells his brother Ray what he has witnessed, Ray humours him with a half-hearted investigation - until he realises Thomas may have stumbled onto a deadly conspiracy, which puts them both in danger...
With enough suspense to rival a Hitchcock film, this is a thriller with edge.

See my review

See what others have chosen for their pick of the month.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kerrie - Can't blame you for putting a Barclay on the top your May list. Thanks for reminding us of the others, too.

Anonymous said...

I have to agree with your opinion of "Trust Your Eyes," which I stayed up all night for the last few days to finish. Could not put it down. Loved it. Not only the story was good, but this book had me laughing at 3 a.m. It's just perfectly written, with wit at exactly the right moments.

However, I'd put "The Ghost Riders of Ordebec," by Fred Vargas at my number one May read, then put Barclay's second. I started to go into a post-good-book slump as I finished Vargas's book, but then read Denise Mina's "Gods and Beasts," and then picked up Barclay's hilarious book.

Or both tied. I don't know.
Just a good month, in which I also read "The Earth Hums in B Flat," and concur with your rating.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin