My general benchmarks are
- 5.0 Excellent
4.0 Very Good
1.0 Did Not Like
0 Did Not Finish
I have a couple of reviews on my blog, but many more books listed in my database.
My ratings in descending order:
- BLOOD FROM A STONE (2005), my rating 4.8
- DOCTORED EVIDENCE (2005), my rating 4.8
- THROUGH A GLASS DARKLY (2006), my rating 4.8
- SUFFER THE LITTLE CHILDREN (2007), my rating 4.8
- THE GIRL OF HIS DREAMS (2008), my rating 4.7
- A VENETIAN RECKONING (1996), my rating 4.6
- FATAL REMEDIES (1999), my rating 4.6
- THE ANONYMOUS VENETIAN (1994), my rating 4.6
- ABOUT FACE (2009), my rating 4.4
You'll see that my average rating is about 4.7, and that I didn't enjoy the last one as much as I have others. But all the ratings show that I generally do rate Donna Leon very highly, almost always close to Excellent. Why?
I listed Donna Leon as one of my favourite authors very early in my blog.
They strike a chord with me partly because I have been to Venice several times and love the city. I also love the way Leon weaves a crime fiction story against a background of modern Venice and it's problems such as political corruption, illegal immigration, the rising waters, the challenges to traditional industries, and industrial pollution.
I have enjoyed also the development of the characters, and visiting with her protagonist Guido Brunetti is like renewing an old friendship.
Which of the Leon novels sticks in your mind as the best?