- Latest additions
- 2017 Reviews
- 2017 Reading Challenges Update
- 2017 Global Reading Challenge
- All Reviews
- All Reviews - from May 2017
- Authors A-Z
- Aussie authors read in 2017 - 2015
- USA Fiction Challenge 2014-
- 2016 Reading Challenges Update
- 2016 Good Reading projects
- 2016 Reviews
- Agatha Christie Novels
- 2016 Vintage Cover Scavenger Hunt
- 2016-2014 Global Reading Challenge
- 2015 Reading Challenges Update
- 2015 Reviews
- 2015 Authors A to Z Reading Challenge!
- Vintage Mystery BINGO 2015
- Agatha Christie Short Stories
- Reviews 2012, 2013, 2014
- Reviews: 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011
- 2014 Reading Challenges Update
- 2012 & 2011 Reading Challenges Update
- 2013 Reading Challenges Update
- Crime Fiction Alphabet
- 2013 Global Reading Challenge
- 2012 Global Reading Challenge
19 February 2010
Review: THE SUFFOCATING SEA, Pauline Rowson
I listened to this as an audio book downloaded from Audible.com.
Read by Gordon Griffin, whom I have already met reading RED BONES by Ann Cleeves.
The investigation of a suspicious death in Horsea Marina leads DI Andy Horton to wonder why the victim had come to Portsmouth. When a priest whom the victim visited suddenly dies, and then his lawyer disappears, Andy Horton's gut instincts tell him that these incidents are all connected even if there is no obvious proof.
There's a satisfying complexity added to the plot when Andy becomes aware of a connection between the dead priest and his own mother who disappeared when he was 10 years old. Other strands to the plot such as Andy's own problems with access to his daughter, the poor health of his sergeant's father, Andy's relationship with his Super, and then an attempt on Andy's life, all mean that there is never a dull moment for the reader. The characters are strongly drawn, and the plot moves quickly.
I enjoyed this title more than I did DEADLY WATERS which I read last year and felt I was missing too much of the back story.
My rating: 4.6
On Pauline Rowson's site: well worth exploring.
Selected as the "Best of British Crime Fiction" by The Book Depository.
Read the first chapter (pdf format)
Read an extract online
The Andy Horton series
1. Tide of Death (2006)
2. Deadly Waters (2007)
3. The Suffocating Sea (2008)
4. Dead Man's Wharf (2009)