7 August 2012

Crime Fiction Alphabet 2012: L is for Louise and Lovesey


I've decided that for my participation in the Crime Fiction Alphabet in 2012 I will highlight recently read books or their authors.

So they'll all come from my 2012 Reviews. Or at least that's the plan.

I couldn't choose between two of my "best" reads for 2012.

A TRICK OF THE LIGHT by Louise Penny  and COP TO CORPSE by Peter Lovesey are both outstanding reads and I gave both of them my highest rating.

Both are police procedurals but their detectives are very different.

A TRICK OF THE LIGHT by Louise Penny is #7 in the Chief Inspector Armand Gamache series.
The books are generally based in the little Canadian village of Three Pines.
In A TRICK OF THE LIGHT the tranquillity of the little Canadian village of Three Pines is again shattered by murder. The artist Clara Morrow is celebrating her successful art exhibition with a party but others in the village and the investigative team are recovering from cataclysmic events, detailed in earlier books, that have changed their relationships forever. The threads of continuity that come from earlier titles in the series do mean that, if you are new to the series, you should read them in order.
However, if you have it to hand, then read it now and then I guarantee you'll look for the others.



Similarly with COP TO CORPSE by Peter Lovesey.
If you can get hold of it, then read it out of order, but be warned you'll be looking for more in the Peter Diamond series, of which this is #11. The Peter Diamond series is set in Bath, England. Someone is killing uniformed coppers patrolling the streets late at night.

Peter Lovesey writes some of the best in British crime fiction, so you'll be in for a treat.

Check what others have chosen for the letter L.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kerrie - Oh, two authors whose work I like very, very much! Thanks for the profile.

Sergio (Tipping My Fedora) said...

I love Lovesey, whether in historical or contemporary mode - great choice Kerrie.

Hellen said...

Two authors that write series that I haven't read yet. I have to add them to my reading list. I've never read a crime novel that takes place in Bath or in a Canadian village.

Marce said...

Hi Kerrie, I apologise but I cannot find your email to make contact with you. May I request for you to send me a quick hello email to marceblogspot(at)hotmail(dot)com please. I would like to discuss Thrill Week with you.

BTW - Louise Penny has been on my Wishlist for 3 years, instead of starting the series I see I am getting further behind.

Marce

Unknown said...

I have read Penny's work and loved it. I haven't read Lovesey but he's on my list.

Scott said...

I will check this out, sounds like a twisty mystery.

Peggy Ann said...

I am looking forward to reading them! I know my library has Louise penny.

JudyH329 said...

I just discovered Louise Penny this year! I love her books! She reminds me a bit of Agatha Christie. The one I finished reading was where Jane did a painting and it caused many comments and emotions. She definitely was a different artist.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin