20 September 2013

Forgotten Book: BONES AND SILENCE, Reginald Hill

My plan this year for my contributions to Friday's Forgotten Books hosted by Pattinase is to feature books I read 20 years ago - in 1993- from the records I have in my "little green book", which I started in 1975.
In 1993 I read 111 books and was pretty well addicted to crime fiction by then.

BONES AND SILENCE, which I read just on 20 years ago, is #11 in Hill's Dalziel and Pascoe series.

The series began with  A CLUBBABLE WOMAN published in 1970.
BONES AND SILENCE was published in 1990.

Just recently a local TV station has been doing re-runs of the Dalziel & Pascoe series and this one was shown.

It is a bit reminiscent of Alfred Hitchcok's Rear Window although of course Andy Dalziel is anything but immobilised.
Just recently I read TRUST YOUR EYES by Linwood Barclay which visits the "observed murder" aspect from a different angle.
And of course there is also Agatha Christie's 4.50 FROM PADDINGTON (aka WHAT MRS MCGILLICUDDY SAW, MURDER SHE SAID)

Synopsis (Fantastic Fiction)

When Detective Superintendent Andy Dalziel witnesses a bizarre murder across the street from his own back garden, he is quite sure who the culprit is. After all, he's got to believe what he sees with his own eyes. But what exactly does he see? And is he mistaken? Peter Pascoe thinks so.

Dalziel senses the doubters around him, which only strengthens his resolve. To make matters worse, he's being pestered by an anonymous letter-writer, threatening suicide. Worse still, Pascoe seems intent on reminding him of the fact. Meanwhile, the effervescent Eileen Chung is directing the Mystery Plays. And who does she have in mind for God? Daziel, of course. He shouldn't have too much difficulty acting the part...

1 comment:

BV Lawson said...

I'm hosting the FFB links for Patti Abbott today, Kerrie (she's fine, just off on a mini-vacation). Thanks for your review!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin