8 July 2010

Forgotten Books: WITNESS BEFORE THE FACT, Elizabeth Ferrars

This week's contribution to Pattinase's Friday's Forgotten Books

Who can tell me anything about the plot of WITNESS BEFORE THE FACT?

I have found out that it was published in 1979 by Collins Crime Club in London, and my records show that I read it in late 1980.

However I can't find either a blurb or a cover image.

Elizabeth Ferrars (1907 - 1995) was Morna Doris MacTaggart Brown who also wrote as E X Ferrars.
She was an incredibly prolific author who published her first book in 1940, and whose last book was published posthumously.
See article on Wikipedia.

I recently reviewed THE SWAYING PILLARS

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kerrie - I confess I haven't read this one, but here is the blurb I found:

Suicide or murder? Despite all indications to the contrary, Clare Methven's ex-husband had not eaten his last meal in solitude, and somebody was very anxious to conceal that fact. As if one death on the beautiful island of Madeira was not enough, there was another. Peter Corey who had found the first body had an iron cast alibi: he was on a plane to the island at the time of the first death..... but what of the other?.


Here is a bit of the Kirkus review (I couldn't find the full-length review):
Peter Corey, writer of a successful kiddie-book series featuring an otter named Edward, goes to Madeira to check up on seedy, needy Alec Methuen--one-time Hong Kong policeman, one-time Zaire mercenary, and long-estranged husband of Peter's illustrator Claire. When Peter arrives, however, he finds Alec shot dead--in surprisingly comfortable surroundings.

Hope this helps.

Kerrie said...

Many thanks Margot - doesn't jog the old memory much - sounds a good yarn though doesn't it?

pattinase (abbott) said...

I think I read a few or more of these under both names.

Anonymous said...

Kerrie - It does sound good. Patti, Do you remember whether you enjoyed them?

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin