24 August 2008

Sunday Salon #23 - 24 August 2008

I've probably over-blogged this week. To my dismay I see that I've posted 10 times in the last week. I hope it is not losing me friends. Perhaps it is a symptom of my addiction to blogging, or do I just have too much time on my hands?

This week's posts:
  • Around the Traps, Sunday 24 August
    I'm not sure whether I will do this regularly or not. It's a summary of some of the posts that have come into my RSS reader.
  • Review: LITTLE GIRL LOST, Susan Kelly
    My review of #3 in Susan Hill's Gregory Summers series. police procedurals with a difference.
  • Backs, Covers, and Tattoos
    What's the fascination with backs and tattoos that have recently been seen on book covers? More seriously, are there some infringements of copyright or intellectual property going on in the book publishing world? If nothing else, have a look at the covers themselves.
  • Reading the ending first? No way!
    I came across a posting where someone claimed she always read the ending of a mystery novel first so she can focus on the unfolding story. My question is whether this person is serious about their reading anyway.
  • Melbourne, UNESCO City of Literature
    On the eve of the Melbourne Writers Festival, UNESCO has granted the city the status of City of Literature, and the Victorian government is contributing $millions to a cultural venture!
  • It's all Enid's fault
    Were you brought up on a diet of Enid Blyton? A new Costa Book Awards survey has revealed that she is the top of the poll as far as 2000 surveyed adults are concerned. She is obviously the cause of my crime fiction addiction, or at least the fact that my day feels incomplete if I don't read for pleasure.
  • Olympics and Reading
    Some crime fiction titles connected to the Olympics.
  • Drop in, chat about books
    This morning I'm trying out a new web 2.0 tool where live chat people are moderated but don't have to log in.
  • Book Blogger Appreciation week 15-19 Sept
    Do you appreciate Book Bloggers? Of course you do! You are one aren't you? Spread the word.
  • SHATTER on ITV3 Shortlist
    Michael Robotham makes the shortlist with 11 others for ITV3's inaugural Crime Thriller Awards. The competition is stiff though.
Miscellaneous
  • I've been playing around with my blog layout again and now have Breaking News featured at the top of every page.
  • I found a site that tells me what my blog is worth. It is on the top right of the page.
  • I've begun participating in Pattinase's forgotten books and so there is a button and link now in the right hand column to my postings. Look for the lovely Creative Commons picture of some library shelves.
  • I've added a block that shows what books I have available through BookMooch.
  • I'm now watching 66 Blogs in my blog roll available on the right. This is a Blogger gadget.
  • Through the Books Alive scheme Michael Robotham is coming to my library next Wednesday. He must be worn out - he has been travelling around Oz for the last 3 weeks meeting and greeting as part of his role as Books Alive Ambassador.
  • Melbourne Writers Festival has started. Unfortunately I won't get there until next Friday night, but my "coven" of friends Karen Sally, Helen, Sunnie, and Fiona are attending this weekend. I'll arrive mid-way through the Ned Kelly Awards night next Friday night and then am able to attend a couple of things next Saturday and Sunday.
    Stop me and say hello if you spot me there.
  • OzMysteryReaders discussion programme for the next 6 weeks:
    September
    8-14 Chat to Michael Robotham, author of THE SUSPECT, LOST (THE DROWNING MAN), THE NIGHT FERRY and SHATTER, published April 2008.
    16-26, discussion of THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO by Stieg Larsson.
    October 1-10, discussion of SUCKED IN by Shane Maloney.
Currently reading:
  • now - THE FORGOTTEN GARDEN, Kate Morton
  • next - BOMBPROOF, Michael Robotham
  • audio book - BENEATH THE BLEEDING, Val McDermid (nearly finished) and then it will be MY LADY JUDGE by Cora Harrison- a historical mystery.
Happy reading folks.

7 comments:

wisteria said...

That little widget to say how much your blog is worth is very cool.
You were busy with a lot going on with your site this week. Good for you. Have a happy week.

Kerrie said...

Thanks for dropping in wisteria. I have no idea how that tool arrives at a value, but it makes me feel good :-)

John (@bookdreamer) said...

I am always impressed by the new widgets and tools that you flush out.I am looking out for a simple way of getting tabs in my blog as thay will help in keeping it clean
My Holiday from Hell and Books from Heaven post.

Anonymous said...

I don't think you blog too much, Kerrie, I love reading your blog. I skim a lot of the general book blogs, but there are about 15 that I read with close attention because they involve reading topics close to my own heart. Yours is definitely one of them.

Some people blog crazily often. I know a scientist blog in which 10 posts a DAY (let alone a week) would be a small number. Needless to say I don't follow that blog, too exhausting.

I just think you have to find the right pace for you. I've gone through phases of posting lots (especially at weekends) (and I mean "lots" relatively!) but at the moment I have lost some of my interest in blogging so am struggling a bit to do one a day. I've been doing it for 3 years now and so far it just goes in phases.....

Lisa (Southern Girl Reads) said...

I don't think you blog too much either! I think its wonderful that you have much to offer. With regard to your post Reading The Ending First, I can't imagine doing that! Especially in a mystery! I don't even go near the final pages of a book I'm reading for fear I may see womething to take away from the story! Your blog looks fabulous and I enjoy reading it regularly. :)

Kerrie said...

John - I don't think blogspot has a "tabbing" tool. I've seen that on other blog places such as WordPress (more recent versions)
My solution here was to create another blog altogether and move some of my lengthier stuff over to there.
My other book blog is called Smik's Reviews and really only contains one post that I keep adding to. It links back to this blog for its content.
http://smikreviews.blogspot.com/2008/08/2008-reviews.html

Kerrie said...

Maxine & Lisa

Thanks for your nice comments

I think the quantity of blogging depends on the nature of your blog.
At work I'm part of a "communal" blog and have been given the message that one a day is definitely enough. More than that puts others who don't blog as often in a bad light.

I have been through patches where I don't feel I have much to say Maxine so I understand that you could get a bit jaded with blogging. I find too that it is not a "quick" process.
I read/skim about 80 blogs plus all the Sunday Salon postings too. I try to visit some and comment as well. I could do this full time!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin