24 August 2010

Thalia: Book sculpture

This giant book sculpture was placed outside a bookstore called Thalia in Linz, Austria. Believe it or not, this is an advertisement!

To celebrate its status of European Capital of Culture 2009, Linz (Austria) organized in May 2007 a life-size exhibition, Schaurausch - Art in 50 Shop Windows.

The idea was to enable thirty Austrian and International artists to transform 50 storefronts.Here the work of Spanish artist Alicia Martin who reinterpreted the front of a bookstore, Thalia.
A 12 meters waterfall of books rose from the first floor of the library, to symbolize a tower of Babel from which knowledge would be available beyond the huge number of shelves that a bookstore used to have.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kerrie - Ah, I see that someone got a look at my TBR pile! ; ). Seriously, this is a lovely sculpture and a terrific 'photo. Thanks for sharing.

Kerrie said...

Thanks Margot. I am enjoying my weekly hunt for a book sculpture - there are soem great ones around. I think the description of a waterfall of books is very apt.

Nikki - Notes of Life said...

All I can say is... WOW! :)

Kerrie Smith said...

Looking at this again, I've decided it looks not so much like a waterfall as a leg- a dinosaur leg? or maybe, looking at the shape at the bottom, an elephant's leg? Wish I could see it up close and personal!

Janet Rudolph said...

But as a book person, I feel sorry for all those books that will never be read again. :-(

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin