First of all 5 ways that ebooks are better than paper books
These aren't all reasons I would have chosen
The writer chose
- Social Highlighting
- Look-up of Words
- Ability to Tweet & Facebook quotes
- the ability to carry many books with you, in fact a whole library, in one small device
- the ability to buy a book virtually as soon as the idea hits me
- that I can choose a font size that suits my aging eyes
- the fact that the books are generally cheaper
- Second Hand Books
In the final analysis though, the real value of any book - whether read via paper or electronically - is in the words.
I would definitely go with your select over theirs. I keep saying I'm not getting an e-reader because I love books, but more and more ARC are being sent as e-books. So I either have to stay glued to my computer or think about getting a reader.
BTW, I completely agree with MacManus' final analysis.
Thoughts in Progress
That says it all, doesn't it? Both the pros and cons, and the 'final analysis.' I have pre-ordered the new, cheaper, wifi kindle for $139 for all the reasons you stated.
My cons on an e-book reader at the minute are:
1) they ain't cheap, which leads to
2) how shatterproof, waterproof, dogproof, etc are they? And what happens when I break/lose the damn thing?
3) I don't need to carry a library with me - just a couple of books (books are not like songs, where you dip in and out).
4) they don't smell/feel/bend like a book
5) I don't make notes when reading novels - they're entertainment not work
6) and a big negative to me - they will put local bookshops out of business
I'm not anti-ereaders. I just can't get enthused to buy one.
I love the instant download! No waiting for shipment to arrive, no having to check the library (especially if the book is cheap!) And I'm about to go on travel--these days luggage costs so much, it is going to be great to take along 5 (or more books) including some travel guides. All on one gadget.
I also love the sample feature. That really helps me decide if I want to purchase!
Post a Comment