13 May 2010

Forgotten books: LOOKING FOR MR GOODBAR, Judith Rossner

This week Friday's Forgotten Books is being hosted by George Kelley.

Published in 1975, this appears in my little green book towards the end of 1979. Judith Rossner based the novel on the events surrounding the brutal murder of Roseann Quinn, a 28-year-old New York City schoolteacher in 1973.
Rossner, an American author, wrote 10 novels 1966-1997.

In 1977 LOOKING FOR MR GOODBAR was made into a film starring Diane Keaton, Tuesday Weld, Richard Gere, and also features Tom Berenger. The film traces the sexual awakening of a young teacher searching for excitement outside of her mundane existence. Originally in search of the "perfect man", whom she refers to as "Mr. Goodbar", she begins losing control of her life as her sexual appetite grows. Quiet and reserved teacher by day, sexual adventuress and bar-hopper by night, she begins to dabble in drugs and unstable men. Her self-destructive behavior is a means of escaping her numbing existence and testing her boundaries and providing excitement in her otherwise safe and boring life. One such sexual partner, played by Richard Gere, turns jealous and possessive, and begins to threaten her life. Ultimately, her sexual addiction and high risk behavior put her life in danger. (from Wikipedia)

5 comments:

Maxine Clarke said...

I read the book and saw the film. I thought one was better than the other, but so much time has passed that I have forgotten which! I think life is too short to go back and read/see again, though....

Anonymous said...

Kerrie - I remember that book! I actually didn't see the film, so can't compare them, but I remember thinking the story was a good one.

Jose Ignacio Escribano said...

Kerrie - Paraphrasing Van Veeteren in 9 out of 10 cases the book is much better than the film. I have not read the book but I saw the film in the late seventies. I can`t remember even the plot, but I cannot forget Diane Keaton.

pattinase (abbott) said...

This book scared me to death as a teenager-and the movie too. Diane Keaton was a very good dramatic actress. See also Shoot the Moon for another sample.

George said...

I saw the movie when it was first released. I don't know if I could watch it again. The movie haunted me for weeks afterward.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin