23 May 2010

Weekly Geeks 2010-18: A Character Comparison

This week's Weekly Geeks task has been eating at me all day.
I hate being defeated by something!
    For this week's task, let's take a close look at some of our favorite bookish characters. Specifically, think of a character that you really relate to, a character that you think you could jump right in the story and actually be, a character that you think the author might know you because it comes so close to who you are! List for us the traits of that character that you feel closely resembles yourself. If you feel like there's several characters that fit the bill, list them all! Why not!
I'm not really sure that I share many traits with any of the characters in the sort of fiction I read. Most of them lead far more active lives than I do, much more dangerous, and a lot less sedentary.

Given my interest in crime detection, could I be Miss Marple, I thought? While we share white hair, she's a lot nosier than I am, and her memory is a lot better.

Perhaps a character that I feel I have a lot in common with is Hetty Wainthropp.
Wikipedia says that the TV series Hetty Wainthropp Investigates which starred Patricia Routledge was based on a novel called MISSING PERSONS written in 1986 by David Cook.
(You probably remember Patricia Routledge from Keeping Up Appearances.)

Hetty Wainthropp takes on small cases, disappearances and the like, and often finds out a lot more than she cares to know. Yes, Hetty Wainthropp is who I'd like to be.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kerrie - What an interesting exercise! Hmm..I'm not sure which character I'd be, but now I've got something to mentally "chew on..."

Rikki said...

Thanks for that answer. I only know P. Routledge from Keeping up Appearances and never knew there was another series with her. I must have a look around for it. I loved hr as Hyacinth (well, as much as you can love her character, that is).

gautami tripathy said...

Great choices. I like Miss Marple.

Weekly Geeks: Comparison

Shelley said...

This is a genre I need to explore more!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin