7 June 2010

Review: BURY ME DEEP, Megan Abbott

Published in USA in 2009, Simon & Schuster
ISBN 978-1-84739-633-4
240 pages

From the back of the book:
In October 1931, a station agent found two large trunks abandoned in Los Angeles' Southern Pacific Station. What he found inside ignited one of the most scandalous tabloid sensations of the decade.

BURY ME DEEP is a story of naivete, of corruption, and of drug addiction.
Marion Seeley is left on her own in Phoenix by her husband who goes off to Mexico to simultaneously overcome his own drug addiction and to make his fortune. Marion, who really knows very little of the seamier side of life, goes to work at a medical clinic and is befriended by Louise and her roommate Ginny. Ginny is dying from TB and her treatments are expensive. To pay for them (and to live the "high life") Louise entertains powerful men with wild parties. She introduces Marion to Joe Lanigan, local politician, and as corrupt as they come. From that point on Marion's future spirals downwards.

BURY ME DEEP is an appalling story told so authentically that in the end you just can't believe what happened to Marion.The tension continues to build right into the final pages.

My rating : 4.7

BURY ME DEEP has been nominated for a number of awards, the latest is the shortlisting for an Anthony Award for best Paperback Original.
Find out more about awards and nominations on Megan Abbott's website.

Author Megan Abbott admits that the novel is heavily based on a real story- she tells the reader thatat the end of the book - and you can read about it on The Rap Sheet.
Megan Abbott won the Mystery Writers of America Edgar Allan Poe Award in 2008 for Queenpin. She was also nominated for an Edgar in 2006 for Best First Novel. In 2008, she won the Barry Award (Deadly Pleasures and Mystery News award) and has been nominated three times for the Anthony Award (Bouchercon World Mystery Convention award).

Megan Abbott's novels
Die a Little (2005)
The Song Is You (2007)
Queenpin (2007)
Bury Me Deep (2009)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kerrie - Thanks for this excellent review : ). This really was a powerful book (at least for me), so I'm glad you liked it as well. I'm glad it's been getting some well-deserved attention.

Deb said...

I loved this book--it was one of the best books I read last year (I believe it was on my top ten list). It also made me seek out one of the non-fiction books about Winnie Ruth Judd and the so-called trunk murders. I found myself wishing the real Judd could have had a bit more of the spunk & moxie shown by Abbott's heroine.

Janet Rudolph said...

Loved this book. Great review. I've read all her books. Great research, terrific style, wonderful mood...one of my top books last year.

Rebecca Chapman said...

HI, I am another Australian blogger and I found you through the Australian Book BLogger Directory. I love that there is an Australian blog out there dedicated to crime fiction. I have to admit to not being a big crime reader myself, but my mother is a massive crime reader, so I will definitely be back to get good tips for her!

It's nice to be able to find so many more Australian bloggers!

I am glad I found your blog and I will definitely be back :-)

Kerrie said...

Becky - thanks for the reminder about the Australian Book Blogger Directory. I'm glad you dropped by

Kerrie said...

Patti - mothers are allowed to be proud.

Kerrie said...

Margot, Deb, Janet - I see that it has been nominated on the Macavity awards short list too. It was one of those books thta grew on me.

Dorte H said...

Usually I don´t like real crime, but this one was fantastic!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin