4 June 2010

When Mount TBR becomes a mountain range

I've written about Mt TBR before, and indeed taken pictures of the made-from-trees residents on my shelves.
TBR for the non-initiated means "to be read" but in my case also could mean "to be reviewed".

Every now and then it is worth taking stock. In the last 8 months or so with the acquisition of the Kindle, and under pressure from my audio book provider, other mountain peaks have emerged.
I'm not going to bore you with pictures of book shelves but thought you might appreciate the enormity of the problem:.


I think there are perhaps several possible solutions to the problem:
  • an extended world cruise - although that wouldn't deal too effectively with books-in-the-hand because they just wouldn't make it into the case.
  • some long flights - same problem as above.
  • retire from work and read constantly - unfortunately money is very nice. Nor am I sure the eyes would hold up.
  • train the cat to read and write - so far he has not shown much aptitude.
  • buy NOTHING - that is tempting but then I couldn't join in a lot of discussions and challenges.
For now, I think all I can do is prioritize my lists and plough on. I am sure there are many out there in Reader Land who share my problem.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kerrie - I love this picture! It expresses better than anything else I could imagine what the TBR challenge is like. I can't think of a good solution myself. Except for just taking it one read at a time...

Bernadette said...

my TBR is about half that size but still worrisome. I like the idea of a world cruise of reading - perhaps you could get a new case of books shipped to you at each port :)

Charmaine Clancy said...

Lol - Yep just like our house. My husband thinks I'm getting better about buying books (I started averaging 2 a day - which I could NEVER read). Little does he know most just turn up on my Kindle now. :-)

Vanda Symon said...

The Buy Nothing option is unthinkable!!!!!!

Luanne said...

I just keep moving the sticky notes and try not to count them!

Marg said...

Ha, I am so feeling your pain, although my pressure is library loans, review books, book I have bought but not read yet, and then the books I would love to get to one day!

BooksPlease said...

Since I retired from work my tbr has grown. It's just not possible to read constantly, even though the opportunity seems to be there as there are always other things I want to do or have to be done. Anyway I think I would panic if I didn't have my tbr piles and lists.

Dorte H said...

What a fine metaphor :D

The only problem is that we can´t see your books which is one of the pleasures of TBR posts.

Deb said...

I have over 300 books in my tbr pile (well, piles, or actually mountains), against the wall in my den. This year I pledged not to buy anymore books until I'd made a sizeable dent in the pile. (I do still check out books from the library, justifying that by saying that library books do--eventually--get returned.) Just this morning I finished Scott Smith's THE RUINS, a book that was quite popular a few years back (and was even made into a movie) and has been sitting in the tbr pile since then. Slowly, slowly, one book at a time...

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin