7 February 2009

Review: VALLEY OF THE LOST, Vicki Delany

Poisoned Pen Press, February 2009, ISBN 978-1-59058-596-2, 291 pages

After a long and hectic day at the Trafalgar Women's Support Center Lucky Smith is savouring the peace of the quiet valley town. That's when she hears the soft cry and discovers baby Miller in the bushes alongside his dead mother. The call to police emergency goes to Lucky's daughter Moonlight, Probationary Constable Molly Smith.

The police autopsy concludes that the dead woman Ashley has died from a heroin overdose, that at some stage, not recently, she had been a regular user, but the restraint marks on her wrists and ankles cast suspicion on the manner of her death.

Lucky Smith decides to take the baby home with her until his family can be located. This act in itself causes tension in the Smith household. And then Lucky resists attempts by the representative of the Child and Youth Services, a recent arrival in the town, to take him into care.

VALLEY OF THE LOST surprised me with the complexity of its well teased out plot and interesting characters. It is the second in what the blurb calls "a traditional mystery series" featuring Molly Smith, her boss Sergeant Winters, and the town in the shadow of the glacier, Trafalgar, British Columbia. I actually feel very priveleged to have read this in ARC format.

My rating: 4.3
Promotional trailer


___________________

Books to look for by Vicki Delany
IN THE SHADOW OF THE GLACIER, 2007
BURDEN OF MEMORY, 2006
SCARE THE LIGHT AWAY, 2005
WHITEOUT, 2001 - recently re-released, and an Eppie Award winner in 2001

Coming in 2009:
GOLD DIGGER - A KLONDIKE MYSTERY

4 comments:

Cathy said...

I recently found out about Vicki Delany, and have this book coming my way. I've also put Gold Digger on my wish list. I'm glad you liked this one!

Bernadette said...

thanks for the review - based on it I'm going to seek this one out. I've been very lax in my reading of Canadian authors.

Vicki Delany said...

I'm glad you liked the book, Kerrie. Many thanks for the review.

Maxine Clarke said...

I just came over to read your review after reading Bernadette's post. How nice of the author to leave a comment. I would like to read this book but does not seem to be available in the UK - will keep an eye out.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin