27 March 2009

Up for Grabs - THE CRUELLEST MONTH, Louise Penny

This is my first foray into the world of competitions/free books.

I am aiming to make this a regular feature of my blog but probably on a fortnightly basis.

I am offering a copy of THE CRUELLEST MONTH by Louise Penny, in good condition. And I don't care where you live. I'll send anywhere in the world, but it will come by surface mail wherever you are.

But you need to do some work for it.
Despair not: you can have some help
You may answer via a comment - I have put Comments into moderation to facilitate this.
Even if you don't actually want a copy of the book, you can enter the competition. Just say in your comment that you don't want a copy.
I will take entries until the end of March and if there is more than one winner I'll pick the winner's name out of a hat.
At the beginning of April I will announce the correct answers, as well as who has won the book, and invite the person to contact me by email.
  1. What is the name of the village in which Louise Penny sets her series featuring Chief Inspector Armand Gamache?
  2. What festive season is THE CRUELLEST MONTH set in?
  3. Which of her books did Louise Penny win the John Creasey New Blood Dagger with?
  4. Name 2 other awards this particular book won (the book in Q3 that is)
  5. Two of Penny's books have had different titles for US and Canadian publications. Give both titles of one of them.
  6. What is the name of the house where the seance was held in THE CRUELLEST MONTH?
  7. What rating did I give THE CRUELLEST MONTH?
  8. When Louise Penny has her birthday this year, how old will she be?
  9. UND DIE FURCHT GEBIERT DEN ZORN is the title of the German publication of which Canadian title?
  10. In DEAD COLD a spectator is killed while watching a sports match. What was the sport, and how was the person killed?
So you see - you have to do some work!
Happy hunting for the answers.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I read the first of her books but it was a bit "cosy" (if that is the right word) for me. So I won't go for your comp (just as well with those fearsome questions!), but congrats for doing it - it is jolly good of you to open it up to worldwide.

Kaye said...

Answers
1. village is Three Pines
2. season is Easter
3. Still Life won the New Blood Dagger award as well as
4. Arthur Ellis and the Dilys awards
5.A Fatal Grace aka Dead Cold & The Murder stone aka A Rule Against Murder
6.seance was held in the Hadley House
7. you rated the Cruellest Month 4.8
8. Penny will be 51
9.A Fatal Grace aka Dead Cold
10. the spectator was electrocuted at a curling match.

florida982002[at]yahoo[dot]com

Kerrie said...

Thanks Maxine.
And Kaye you are in the run for the book - congrats- you got the 10 answers absolutely correct

Joe Barone said...

Kerrie,
I've added this blog to the gadgets on my blog. I use my blog as a way of looking at others to find books to read. --Joe Barone.

Kerrie said...

Thanks Joe. Good to see you here

Dorte H said...

Louise Penny competition.
1 What is the name of the village in which Louise Penny sets her series featuring Chief Inspector Armand Gamache? Three Pines
2 What festive season is THE CRUELLEST MONTH set in? Easter
3 Which of her books did Louise Penny win the John Creasey New Blood Dagger with? Still Life
4 Name 2 other awards this particular book won (the book in Q3 that is) The British Dagger, The Canadian Ellis, the American Dilys award.
5 Two of Penny's books have had different titles for US and Canadian publications. Give both titles of one of them. A rule against Murder/The Murder Stone (+ question 9)
6 What is the name of the house where the seance was held in THE CRUELLEST MONTH? Old Hadley House.
7 What rating did I give THE CRUELLEST MONTH? 4.8
8 When Louise Penny has her birthday this year, how old will she be? 51 years old.
9 UND DIE FURCHT GEBIERT DEN ZORN is the title of the German publication of which Canadian title? Dead Cold/A Fatal Grace
10 In DEAD COLD a spectator is killed while watching a sports match. What was the sport, and how was the person killed? Boxing – the victim was electrocuted.

Keeping my fingers crossed - it sounds like a series I might enjoy.

Kerrie said...

Well done Dorte. You got 9 correct answers. You might want to look at question 10 again.

Dorte H said...

How silly of me. Don´t know what I would say to my poor students if they made such a stupid reading error :D
10) A spectator at the annual Boxing Day CURLING MATCH has been fatally electrocuted.

Kerrie said...

Well done Dorte. Your final answer is correct

Pierre said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Kerrie said...

Well done Pierre. You are in the running for the prize too. 10/10 (and yes, thanks for your email)

Kerrie said...

And the winner is Dorte! (randomly chosen) Thanks Kaye and Pierre for entering - myabe you'll be a winner next time.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin